• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape builder tool not working

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My shape builder tool is not working for some reason. It shows a little anti circle next to the cursor when i try to use the tool. It does not allow me change any options on the tool as well. I tried reseting my settings back to default, restarted the program and tried to make an object on a fresh project but it still did not work. The Shape builder tool is the only tool affected. Can somebody please tell me how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should read the documentation on the Shape Builder tool:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

You need to create some shapes to use it on, then select them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the person above but the problem i have is i made a heart by making 2 rectangles, rounding the edges and then combining them using shape combiner tool, i clicked to repeat this heart radially and made a "flower" and it has gradient and every piece of the flower has its own gradient and i wanted to combine this hearts in the flower to make just a shape of flower with one gradient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please point out what you do not like about that result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To combine them into a single object:

Object > Expand

Pathfinder panel > Unite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have a few shapes drawn first, then select them in order to use the shape builder function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were trying to draw shapes with the Shape Builder Tool but there weren't any shapes yet, were you maybe thinking of the Shaper Tool (Shift + N)? Here's more info on the Shaper Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/building-new-shapes-using-shape.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work if shapes are inside the clip group for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. If the layers inside a clip group it wont work, wich is enoying when you for example have created the elements in ADobe Fresco, where every layer is placed in a clip group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape builder does not work when no shapes are selected. Draw the simple shapes which you want to combine, select them and create what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines