• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shapes not merging with pathfinder tool

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a lot of problems since I upgraded to Illustrator CC 2015.

One of them is that shapes are not merging when I use the pathfinder tool "Unite". First I was thinking maybe something is wrong with the shapes.

But when I save my file and reopen then miraculously I can merge the shapes.

This doesn't happen all the time but it's quite annoying to have to save and close the file and reopen again like 10 times a day.

Anybody with the same issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

This was the fix for me – Object>Expand... , then Unite the shapes. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a same problem. T.T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Are you sure you are using the Pathfinder panel and not Effects>Pathfinder? Does it work if you use Object>Shape>Expand first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have any two shapes the Pathfinder "Unite" action within the Pathfinder side palette and from the Effects Menu give me an error that I need two over lapping objects. If I go to Objects/Expand Appearance, then I get results. Pain in the butt. Adobe, if you need anyone to beta test give me a call. Seems I run into stuff right out of the chute every time there's an "upgrade".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Snosrap,

I do not get this error on Illustrator 2015.3 Mac OS 10.10.5. Does this happen if you draw 2 rectangles form scratch.

Not sure why you would want to unite 2 objects that are not overlapping. Though I seen this error before though, what version are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened on closed shapes that were overlapped. both hand-drawn and using a shape tool. And you're right, I have no reason to unite un-overlapped shapes. I'm on CC 2015.3 and Mac OS Sierra. This phenom just started happening after the .3 upgrade. I recently upgraded the OS also. I've been using illustrator since version 1.1. I do a lot of digitizing and so am very familiar with the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious, did try to Unite using the Shape Builder tool (Shift+M)?

Select the shapes you would like to Unite. Using the Shape Builder tool, click and drag across the shapes to combine them.

Here a video that shows how to use the Shape Builder -- http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2011/12/geared-up-for-shape-builder/

Another video -- http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2012/10/create-instant-puzzle-pieces/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sample file we can download and try this. Dropbox and hightail offer free ftp. This way we will know if this is something on your computer or happens to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same issue in CC 2018. My only workaround is to copy it into a new document and follow the same procedure. Oddly enough, it works in a new document. Did you ever find a cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

what is the difference?

Please see here for the difference:

Pathfinder doesn't react

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I noticed on my own that the Effect > Pathfinder > Merge operation does not actually merge anything when I am trying to merge paths. I mean, if it's not the same as the Merge operation in the Pathfinder tool, then why CALL it the same thing? What is Adobe thinking? And what does it even do? The Merge button in the Pathfinder toolbox works just great! There is major ambiguity here. I see no distinction between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The distinction is that Effects are always reversable. If you use the Pathfinder it can only be reversed before you close the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects can be used in a set of appearances on single strokes or fills of an object.

The effects won't work as expected when there is only one element in the container you applied it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the fix for me – Object>Expand... , then Unite the shapes. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you made sure that all points are connected on each of the shapes you are trying to merge?

If there are any 'open' shapes they will not merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open shapes will merge, along a line that intersects their endpoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having similar problems as described above - I cannot merge shapes to create a new shape. I have drawn a whale using circles, but when trying to fill the colour it fills all the circles? I am quite new ti illustrator so thinking I may have missed a step along the way...any advice would be gratefully received! Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 12.01.32.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-25 at 12.01.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Hi,

I am having similar problems as described above - I cannot merge shapes to create a new shape. I have drawn a whale using circles, but when trying to fill the colour it fills all the circles? I am quite new ti illustrator so thinking I may have missed a step along the way...any advice would be gratefully received! Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 12.01.32.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-25 at 12.01.42.png

Use Live paint or the shapebuilder tool.

How to create and work with Live Paint groups in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, in 2022. Unite always used to create one object from two paths as long as they were touching. Now it won't, no matter what. I've had to resort to the Shape Builder tool, which is probably what they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as we don't see any screenshot, nobody can help you.

Also: this is an old thread and it discusses at least 3 different issues. Which one is the one you have? Are you really sure your paths are touching?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to make sure the colorful square on the right of the layer is on the layer you want. if the layer is red for instance, the little square will be red.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines