• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shear angle

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to retrieve shear angle for different shapes ( like star, rounded rectangle, pentagon, triangle etc.) By using path points in illustrator?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to find the angle of a path, you can use the Measurement tool. You'll find it nested under the Eyedropper tool (it looks like a ruler).

1. Select the Measurement tool
  2. Draw a path
  3. See the angle in the Info panel that opens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the measure tool, if your workspace does not have.

MikeGondek_0-1659451770699.png

window >> info

MikeGondek_1-1659451807486.png

I did do 22 degrees originally,  so is accurate if you click slowly on the points. 

There is no better way that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earth,

In many cases it is rather complicated because the shear angle used on the object is only reflected in certain cases, such as (rounded) rectangles sheared from horizontal or vertical sides.

In those cases, you can snap to and ClickDrag with the Line Segment Tool along a relevant straight segment, either between the end Anchor Points or just between two points on the segment, then DoubleClick the Line Segment Tool and see the angle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Earth is looking for a way to do it via scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have not tried myself, but may be following link will help

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/retrieve-the-details-of-shear-angle-horizonta...

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Charu Rajput I don't think that'll work.  That's for placed/raster items.  Path items don't have a transformation matrix property. 

It may be possible to get the shear angle if the polygons are (1) regular, (2) tranformed from upright orientation and (3) tranformed with shear without rotation.  That's too many ifs.  Otherwise I can't see how it could be done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@femkeblanco 

Thank you, Correct and Noted.. 🙂

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines