• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Side scroll bar not stopping when supposed to

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a problem with Illustrator CC for over a week now on my Windows 11 PC. Everytime I click on the scroll bar to drag my view, it doesn't stop dragging once I lift my mouse and I have to force quit Illustrator. I've reinstalled Illustrator, but it's still happening. I can't find anything on other sites about this issue. Can someone help?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

I use a Wacom pen and have had this same issuse since the most recent Illustrator update.  The scroll bars work with a standard mouse but my pen has always worked before and works in every other application without issue.

I DID just go into my Illustrator preferences and under Devices, clicked the box to disable Wacom device and now my pen is working and the scrolling is working properly.  Seems like a counterintuitive thing to do but it also seemed to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already reset the preferences?

What kind of mouse is this? Can you try a different one? Is it enhanced by a special mouse driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, never had it before. When I touch the scroll bar with my wacom pen (intuos 4) the bar sticks to the cursor and never lets go. None of the buttons work, not on the mouse or on the keyboard. I can only ctrl-alt-del force quit AI. 

Solution so far is to just dont click the bar. Restore preferences does not have any effect.

*update a simple logitech mouse doesnt have the problem.

Specs:

Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor 3.69 GHz
Installed RAM 128 GB (128 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I use a Wacom Pro tablet and pen instead of a mouse. Like I said, I competely uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator, made no preference changes. I don't have a mouse on hand to test with, might be an issue with wacom pens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Valerie27985386rxci @JurriaanHos,

I'm sorry to hear that both of you are experiencing this frustrating issue with Adobe Illustrator. You mentioned that using a Logitech mouse doesn't have the problem. This suggests that the issue might indeed be related to the Wacom tablet, as it's not a common problem. This issue can be frustrating, but there are some steps you can try to resolve it:

• Roll back to the older Wacom driver: Driver 6.4.1-3 or Driver 6.4.2-3, or you can roll back to the older Illustrator version to check if this is a new issue in the latest versions.

• Try running Illustrator and your Wacom tablet in Windows Safe Mode. This can help determine if any third-party software or drivers are causing conflicts. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644...)

• Check the settings in your Wacom tablet driver control panel. There may be options related to how the pen interacts with the system and applications. Adjusting these settings might help.

• Sometimes, OS updates can include fixes for compatibility issues.
  • If the issue persists, consider reaching out to Wacom support for further assistance. They may have specific recommendations or updates related to this problem.

Remember to back up any custom preferences or settings before making significant changes to your system configuration or software preferences.

Please try these steps and let me know if any of them resolve the issue. Your feedback will help us narrow down the cause and find a suitable solution.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm sorry but I'm having this same frustrating bug whit an xp-pen tablet since 1 week now, so maybe the problem is in AI and not in wacom tablet because it's not a problem limited to wacom hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue, the problem was a Drawing Pen's dying battery. 

Also, removing the USB adapter that pairs the Pen with the computer solved the issue immediately.

hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but my pen Is passive so no battery and no cable conneting pen and
PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem.  Started yesterday.  I've never had it before.  I gave to hold WINDOWS + M, to reveal the desktop, right-click on Illustrator and choose "Close Window".  This invokes the "Would you like to save" which allows me to choose "Yes" and the programme closes.

Might I suggest that, as Illustrator is the only programme I experience this problem in, that this is not an input device driver problem.  The common fault we're all seeing is in Adobe Illustrator.  Nobody is reporting scrollbar issues in Word, or Affinity, or Unity, or 3DS Max.  If it were a mouse driver issue the problem would likely exist in other applications.  This is definitely an Illustrator issue.

It seems the past 6 months of Adobe software is riddled with bugs - Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, etc...  Come one Adobe - Try harder!

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried rolling back input device drivers - completely deleting them, restarting, downloading older and installing a fresh.
It didn't work.  Took me 30 minutes, too - so thanks for that.  But why would it work?

It's just tiresome that third parties get the blame for bugs.  I've worked 30 years in the UK's creative industries and I've seen it over and over again - Blame the third party.  Adobe have always been top of the list to quickly blame the drivers of some random piece of equipment.  Avid do it too, although they've not had many major software updates since 1989, so it happens less often ofter.

I'm sure Illustrator works great without a mouse or tablet, but it's not for me.  I need the mouse.  Please, fix the bugs.

My computer works flawlessly with all my other software.  Never a problem running the high-end stuff.  Just the Adobe software.

I've had enough.  Just fix the bugs.

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @UK TV Professional,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps? Also, try to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pay £55 per month, every month, to USE this software, not test it.

I hope you understand.  Many thanks!

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a couple of months ago since i had this problem, and i did find a fix but not sure if this was it but try to remove the Windows ink on your wacom settings. Maybe that works.

JurriaanHos_0-1709035601444.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@UK TV Professional  schrieb:

I pay £55 per month, every month, to USE this software, not test it.

Simple: this is not a general issue. So it must be something on your system. To figure that out, Running in Safe Mode will turn off all your extensions and stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and it started since I updated illustrator a week ago. I share the same problem as my colleagues here and it is definitely a problem with Illustrator and not with the mouse, as I have already changed the mouse and the pentablet and the problem occurs every time I use the scroll bar. (I use Windows 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @PatriciaYamamoto,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same problem with Illustrator, and I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Since changing the mouse and pen tablet didn't resolve the issue, it's indeed likely a problem related to Illustrator itself.

Here are a few more steps you can try to address the scrolling issue:

• Reverting to a previous version of the tablet driver might help. Alternatively, you can roll back to an older version of Illustrator to see if the problem persists.

• You can navigate to Illustrator preferences and then the Devices section to disable the "Enable Wacom" option. This might alleviate the scrolling issue.

• Running Illustrator and your Wacom tablet in Windows Safe Mode can help identify if any third-party software or drivers are causing conflicts. You can start your PC in Safe Mode by following the instructions here.

By trying these steps, you may be able to isolate the source of the problem and find a suitable workaround. If you need further assistance or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you so much Anshul Saini for the support, it seems that disabling the "Enable Wacom" option worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! After hours of wacom live agents telling me to reinstall and unintall things I decided it may not be teh wacom software at all. which is when i turned to adobe community and there you are with the solution!!!

This has solved my very frusterating scrolling issue for now! thanks a bunches 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Wacom pen and have had this same issuse since the most recent Illustrator update.  The scroll bars work with a standard mouse but my pen has always worked before and works in every other application without issue.

I DID just go into my Illustrator preferences and under Devices, clicked the box to disable Wacom device and now my pen is working and the scrolling is working properly.  Seems like a counterintuitive thing to do but it also seemed to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deanna - This worked for me, thanks! My heart sank reading all these complex instructions - I fear "safe mode"  - as many who use things like Illustrator do.  The scroll was screwed up for my mouse AND wacom, and NOT in any other programs. I don't get why I should "disable" my wacom - I need it.  But it seems to work with that item checked. Appreciate the input from a "beginner"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - see it goes back to Anshul - thanks to you, too for trying to help with this problem. I am glad it works without going into safe mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too. Sounds very counter intuitive. Due to not being able to use Illustrator at all owing to the issue, I had resorted to using only Corel Draw and to be honest the user experience is light years ahead of the Adbobe offering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines