Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth scrolling in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently downloaded the latest version of Illustrator and I love the new features but I noticed the scrolling has

become choppy and jittery. It's not smooth anymore. Before i could swipe down with my finger and depending how much velocity

i put into the magic mouse it scroll smoothly and stop gradually. I'm using last years Macbook pro model with the latest OS install (Sierra)

and a magic mouse as mentioned.

It's some what preventing me from working more efficiently since the pages i design can be long and i tend to use many artboards or keep stuff of the artboard

for potential later use. Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue and if there's a setting i need to turn off or on. All the help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has made changes to their swipes and the behaviour of the Magic Mouse. See explanation here: Sierra Magic Mouse Scrolling / Zoom Issue

Since the forums here are 90% not Adobe (or Apple) staff, we are not able to check who's to blame. We just have an outside view.

Can you try and connect a different mouse to see if that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does feel like a OS issue; however a few colleagues of mine also updated and they can't replicate the issue.

Same laptop, same mouse, and same OS.

The trackpad is the same way too. If I give it a good swipe to scroll down some it stops immediately - no continues scrolling while coming to a gradual stop.

So bizarre. I appreciate the response Hopefully someone else runs into the issue or it's resolved soon through an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. It feels like I'm going crazy – (was I ever able to "inertial scroll" in Illy? I think so yes.) But like you scrolling just hard stops as soon as my fingers "release" both on my Magic Mouse and my built in trackpad, even after multiple reboots.

The difference is that I'm still on El Capitan 10.11.6, so it doesn't seem to be exclusively a Sierra issue. I noticed it after updating Illustrator to 21.0.2 (the latest 2017 version), so I reverted to 21.0.1 but the issue persists... so now I have no idea. It's hard to say if the issue is on Apple's side or Adobe's, but I'm leaning Adobe, since there haven't been any system updates for El Cap for a while.

This is incredibly frustrating though, I hope it gets resolved in 21.0.3 or something.

EDIT - Solved! (ish)

Reverting back to 21.0.0 (the very first 2017 release) seemed to solve the issue for me. (Had that not worked, I would have tried resetting Illustrator Preferences – hold Cmd+Option+Shift while launching – loses all settings but possibly worth it. Got that advice from this adobe thread) So try one of those steps if you can - hopefully 21.0.0 is stable on macOS Sierra, but I don't have a Sierra machine to test it with.

Specs:

MacBook Pro Mid-2012

2.6gHz i7  |  16gb RAM   |  gt650m 1gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, Creative Cloud doesn't offer option to install Illustrator v21.0.0 via previous versions dialog.

For available versions, situation with smooth scroll is as follows:

Illustrator 2018 22.0.1 - FAIL

Illustrator 2018 22.0.0 - FAIL

Illustrator 2017 21.1.0 - FAIL

Illustrator 2017 21.0.0 - Not Available in Creative Cloud

Illustrator 2015 20.1.0 - WORKS

Configuration:

Macbook Air late 2012 OSX El Capitan 10.11.4

Will try to update to some Sierra later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe:

I can't believe this! After being kind of annoyed by Affinity Designer, I just decided to put down a lot of money for this subscription and now Illustrator insults me with this terribly choppy scrolling and zooming. It's 2017, not 2007, how about you fix your friggin programs?!?!

Very angry right now, I can't believe I got tricked into believing Adobe is able to do quality software these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michael47921618  schrieb

@Adobe:

I can't believe this! After being kind of annoyed by Affinity Designer, I just decided to put down a lot of money for this subscription and now Illustrator insults me with this terribly choppy scrolling and zooming.

Please contact Cutomer Care:

Contact Customer Care

They can log into your system to try and locate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines