Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smoothing a curved path in Illustrator

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can anyone please explain to me why the heck my path is not smooth and how do I fix that? I have created it with a curvature tool and then added a brush stroke I created. But even though the red line which indicates the path I created is smooth, the actual dotted line is rigged. I tried using the smooth tool over my path but I don't get the result I'm looking for. Help!

Julietta

Screenshot (217).png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggle CPU/GPU and see if that improves things (Ctrl-E)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankis, although it did not help:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you double click your brush in the Brushes panel to show its options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it comes:)

Screenshot (218).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a scatter brush, I suspect.

If so, you can do the common workaround to add more (probably way more) anchor points to the paths (a trick is to use the Roughen or Zig Zag effect). Or you may create and use a Pattern brush instead (or just dotted strokes created in the Strokes palette).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More anchor points did fix the problem, thank you! (Though it should not be that hard to get a smooth line :P) It looks fine in Illustrator, buth when I copy it and paste it as a smart object into Photoshop, the quality of the object looks like this. Is my laptop too weak? My settings wrong? I often end up having these problem with Adoble Clouds programs and I make sure to keep them up to date.

Illustrator

Screenshot (220).png

Photoshop

Screenshot (219).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would use a dotted stroke as Kurt suggested.

In Photoshop you are zoomed in on a low res smart object.

You should zoom out to 100% and if you want it larger, increase the resolution: Image > Image Size > Resolution 300 or higher (with Resample On)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines