• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solidworks drawing saved as AI file

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've saved a Solidworks drawing as an AI file.  I can see all the lines, but cannot ungroup the items to add colors.  I ran the Path Simplify command, but can't get any further with it.  What is the next step?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Hello Charlie, when you save a Solidworks file in an AI format it'll join all your lines in one BIG compound path. Or at least, it's always done so for me anyway. Sooo..

1) Open Adobe, hit Ctrl + A to select all
2) Hit Object, Compound path, then Release.

You should be able to select each line individually now, for recolouring, cutting, whatever you have in mind. All that tech talk for something simple eh?

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the layers panel and analyze your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've look the layers, there is only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid we'll need a lot more information in order to offer any coherent help.

I've saved a Solidworks drawing as an AI file.

Form Solidworks help:

Adobe Illustrator Files (*.ai)

You can import Adobe® Illustrator® files into SOLIDWORKS and SOLIDWORKS models and drawings to Adobe Illustrator files.

Graphic objects are imported as outline shapes, and text objects are imported as SOLIDWORKS text objects.

Part and assembly models are exported as bitmap images.

You can copy SOLIDWORKS parts, assemblies, sketches, and drawing views to Adobe Illustrator by means of the clipboard.

Those final 2 sentences are the most relevant. I don't have Solidworks itself, but I have a lot of experience bridging Engineering materials to print-publishing formats. I interpret those sentences this way:

Part and assembly models are exported as bitmap images.

Instructions found elsewhere claim that *.AI is an available format in Solidworks' Save As.. dialog, but this sentence suggests that "models" would export in raster format. That would be consistent with my experience; there are very few workflows which can output 3D model data to vectors. I suspect your .AI file is only a raster image, essentially unusable in Illustrator.

You can copy SOLIDWORKS parts, assemblies, sketches, and drawing views to Adobe Illustrator by means of the clipboard.

So even though you say:

I've saved a Solidworks drawing as an AI file.

That sentence suggests a proper "drawing" (in the sense that 3D modeling apps use that term), cannot be Saved As .AI, but only copied/pasted from its native Solidworks environment.

In this context, can you offer any clarification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a Solidworks drawing document open, I went to the save as dialog box and there is an option to save as an AI file.  I have done this a few times, and have had success with Path Simplify and ungroup items.  The problem is that I have sometimes had success and it works very well, but other times it doesn't.  I know it is possible and seems to work very well as vector art.  I can resize without losing resolution.  My problem is that I'm new to Illustrator and am not familiar with all the nuances of it.  It is so much easier to create drawings with precise dimensions with Solidworks.  I'll figure this out someday and let you know.  Is there any way I can send a file to tech support and have them take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charlier4783393  wrote

I'll figure this out someday and let you know.  Is there any way I can send a file to tech support and have them take a look at it?

Maybe, but I have no experience with Adobe Tech Support, so I can't say whether it will produce a result, or how long it might take. You'll get better/faster help right here if you open the AI file, select all, and take a screenshot with your Layers panel in view, and the layer(s) expanded, something like this:

Monika made an earlier suggestion about the Layers panel because it is the definitive source of object-identifying information. Post the screenshot here, and we'll find out what's in there, whether it will be editable, and if so, what steps will get you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new view and export a DWG or DXF from it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way I can send a file to tech support and have them take a look at it?

Guess they are more interested in non working Adobe products rather than teaching.

You might   be better uploading it to  Dropbox and   linking it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie, when you save a Solidworks file in an AI format it'll join all your lines in one BIG compound path. Or at least, it's always done so for me anyway. Sooo..

1) Open Adobe, hit Ctrl + A to select all
2) Hit Object, Compound path, then Release.

You should be able to select each line individually now, for recolouring, cutting, whatever you have in mind. All that tech talk for something simple eh?

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps. Apologies, just realised that I'm signed in on my partners account. I'm not Emily haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this works. But now I try to fill the text from SW and it looks like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's  many short unjoined paths

try the Shapebuilder tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi "Emily,"

I'm trying to edit a SolidWorks image, saved as an .ai file, in Illustrator. I wasn't sure it was even possible, as in a previous job we always had the engineers save from SW to .dwg and then used AutoCAD to copy and paste from the .dwg file into Illustrator, but some of these posts seemed to indicate it can be done.

I was hoping that your solution above regarding the Compound Path would be the answer to my problem. But the Release Compound Path option is not enabled, even though everything is selected.

I noticed that "Release Clipping Mask" option was enabled, so I tried that, hoping it would magically enable Release Compound Path, but it didn't do anything. I also hoped I might be able to use Image Trace, but that is also disabled.

Have you ever encountered this? Is there a setting I could tell the engineers to select in SW when they save which would make the image easier to manipulate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines