Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sort Layers alphabetically

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm trying to organize my layers in Illustrator aphabetically, and I can't find a script for it.  I've found several potential scripts here but I couldn't get them to work, and since my coding knowledge is extremely basic I can't really make one on my own.  Is there a script I can use to sort layers?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

I found a script to sort layers alphabetically https://gist.github.com/KennyRedman/b8582079dabc1be17b05

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please post a link to the potential scripts and let us know why they're not working for you, and/or post the error codes you're getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the simplest case, based on Unicode order (9 before A, Z before a and 10 before 2):

function alphabetise(a) {
    for (var i = 1; i < a.length; i++) {
        for (var j = i; j > 0; j--) {
            if (a[j].name < a[j-1].name) {
                a[j].moveBefore(a[j-1]);
            }
        }
    }
}
alphabetise(app.activeDocument.layers);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a script to sort layers alphabetically https://gist.github.com/KennyRedman/b8582079dabc1be17b05

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KennyRedman's script will prodoce the same result as the snippet I posted.  It's based on a Unicode alphabetical comparison using the > operator.  As I said, you'll get "Zoo" before "aardvark". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use String.prototype.localeCompare while sorting to get the correct results:

var yourLayerNameArray = ["tiny", "Zoo", "aardvark"];
yourLayerNameArray.sort(function (a, b) {
  return a.localeCompare(b);
});
console.log(yourLayerNameArray);
// Returns as ["aardvark", "tiny", "Zoo"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me. But I can have the names converted to lower case when sorting. If the author has enough to sort alphabetically case-insensitive.

yourLayerNameArray.sort(function (a, b) {
  return a.toLowerCase().localeCompare(b.toLowerCase());
});

Or in @femkeblanco  version

function alphabetise(a) {
  for (var i = 1; i < a.length; i++) {
    for (var j = i; j > 0; j--) {
      if (a[j].name.toLowerCase() < a[j-1].name.toLowerCase()) {
          a[j].moveBefore(a[j-1]);
      }
    }
  }
}

Or modify the algorithms so that first there are lowercase or uppercase letters "a_name", "A_name", "b_name",  "B_name"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, String.localeCompare gives different results when run in Node compared to ESTK. You're right about it, though. Here's a recursive solution that should handle any depth:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was pretty curious about this so I ran some tests. From what I can tell, String.localeCompare in ESTK may be custom code, a very simplified polyfill, or a very old version that existed before the options parameters. It doesn't accept any optional parameters and definitely sorts differently than run in Node / V8 or modern browsers. The method should have explicit case-insensitive options going back to Chromium V1 and original ECMAScript, like so:

var test = ["zoo", "Zoo", "aardvark", "tiny", "Aardvark"];
test.sort(function (a, b) {
    return a.localeCompare(b, 'en', {
        sensitivity: "base"
    });
});
alert(test) // Incorrectly returns ["Aardvark", "Zoo", "aardvark", "tiny", "zoo"] in ESTK

This runs much differently (and correctly) in Node:

let test = ["zoo", "Zoo", "aardvark", "tiny", "Aardvark"];
test.sort((a, b) => a.localeCompare(b, "en", { "sensitivity": "base" }));
console.log(test); // ["aardvark", "Aardvark", "tiny", "zoo", "Zoo"]

When you run this inside ESTK you get false results, it's still case sensitive. If you use explict case flags which should mean certain cases are valued higher than the other or tell it to ignore all punctuation (similar to sensitivity base but base is more for accent characters in non-English languages), you still get the same results:

var test = ["zoo", "Zoo", "aardvark", "tiny", "Aardvark"];
    return a.localeCompare(b, "en", {
        ignorePunctuation: true
    });
});
alert(test) // ["Aardvark", "Zoo", "aardvark", "tiny", "zoo"]

caseFirst: "upper"
    });
});

caseFirst: "lower"
    });
});

// Always same result, the options parameter isn't implemented

I tried rearranging the arguments, thinking that maybe locale and options are flipped or locale isn't supported, etc., but I never produce a different result from the original ESTK sort. So unfortunately this means that we would have to call toLowerCase() like Sergey says, but that really isn't an ideal solution if you specifically want to prefer uppercase appears before lowercase or vice versa, you'd have to write an additional comparator in the sort.

Just another one of those weird "well this doesn't work like I expected" Adobe scripting things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines