• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space not working during text entry

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Illustrator 2018 using Windows 7 and seem to be having an issue where hitting the space bar between words is not registering. I'm not sure if this is a setting that was changed during upgrade, or if it's a glitch. Sometimes the space will register and then the text will revert to no spaces between words, other times it does not show up on screen at all upon hitting space bar. Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

If you did not have “Import previous settings and preferences” unchecked in the Advanced Options during your install of CC 2018 (see screen shot) then that may be the source of your problem.

INSTALL AI.png

If that option was checked during the install then you will have to manually make sure that all previous preference files for Illustrator are deleted (or renamed) making sure that Illustrator is closed when you do so. You can then open CC 2018, save a test file and then quit it so that a new CC 2018 only pref

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

I just ran into this issue and in my case, I didn't make an update. Here's the solution that worked for me

1. Click on the menu icon on the paragraph panel

P1.png

2. Click on Justification

P2.png

3. Change the single word justification from full justify to Aligh Left

P3.png

4. That should solve the issue

P4.png

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION

Reset the Character and Paragraph Panel. You can find this in the menu icon on each panel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becky,

Can you please try restarting the machine? Is your space key working fine in other applications?

Thanks

Anish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, only when I hit my spacebar in InDesign, instead of adding a space, it is changing to a different Paragraph Style...very frustrating, because as you can see, the spacebar is working fine in other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Illustrator forum.

You maybe want to post in the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not have “Import previous settings and preferences” unchecked in the Advanced Options during your install of CC 2018 (see screen shot) then that may be the source of your problem.

INSTALL AI.png

If that option was checked during the install then you will have to manually make sure that all previous preference files for Illustrator are deleted (or renamed) making sure that Illustrator is closed when you do so. You can then open CC 2018, save a test file and then quit it so that a new CC 2018 only preference folder will be created. (This is all based on a test I did that showed that when an older preference file exists CC 2018 did not create a complete preference folder). At this point I would restart the computer and once rebooted launch Illustrator and hopefully your problem will be solved.

To manually delete preferences:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works then great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language> for any versions that you have. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Also, just to make sure, CC 2018 requires that Service Pack 1 be installed to work on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that seemed to do the trick. I suspect it was a setting that got changed during upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Have you tried the flyout menu  and chose reset panel for both character and paragraph?

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 10.27.44 AM.png

• Do a Shift Ctrl I to show invisibles, do you see the spaces represented by periods?
  • If you create a new document, and set some new type in a text box, does this happen?
  • What settings do you have on your type, such as justification?
  • Please post a screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike!

I had the same problem in Illustrator CC 2019 with the space bar key not working. After I did the reset panel it started working again.  

I use on a Macbook pro 2015 Os Mojave 10.14.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this issue and in my case, I didn't make an update. Here's the solution that worked for me

1. Click on the menu icon on the paragraph panel

P1.png

2. Click on Justification

P2.png

3. Change the single word justification from full justify to Aligh Left

P3.png

4. That should solve the issue

P4.png

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION

Reset the Character and Paragraph Panel. You can find this in the menu icon on each panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much my friend! I had the same issue on Adobe Illustrator 2023 with the new update! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I didn't make any update. Since I installed Illustrator the sdpace bar is not working. I've tried the justification thing and both panel resets. Still not working. The space works correctly in any other app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I didn't make any update. Since I installed Illustrator the sdpace bar is not working. I've tried the justification thing and both panel resets. Still not working. The space works correctly in any other app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does iot work with other fonts?

Can you show us all the settings in the character panel, the paragraph panel and the justification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines