• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar closing Illustrator and not working in text

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Illustrator on my Mac to the most recent update and now whenever I use the space bar it hightlights the exit button in the top left corner of the app. If I am working on a new doc this brings up the save pop up window and if I am in a doc with no recent changes it exits the app completely. I just want to put a space in between words and not have the app demand to close. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Hi @CHELSEA24125035z8k9,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. It seems this is happening due to a new feature/enhancement introduced by Apple in macOS Monterey in Oct 2021. Please try turning off the "Enable Full Keyboard Access" option under Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility> Keyboard > Navigation to resolve this issue.

Anshul_Saini_4-1650660485055.png

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences.

Go to Preferences/General and click the reset button. Relaunch AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried doing this as well as uninstalling, reinstalling, trying a different update, and restarting my computer to no avail. Thank you for the suggestion though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that this is not something in the system interfering here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think so there is as I have restarted the computer, closed all the programs and only ran Illustrator, and uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator. I am at a loss at what else to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Apple System Prefs/Keyboard/Input Sources. Check show input sources in menu bar.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1650488518832.png

This will allow you to show the Keyboard Viewer.

kevinstohlmeyer_1-1650488580071.png

It gives you a visual cue when you type. Try hitting space bar when in AI again and see what the visual keyboard is showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is showing the space bar being hit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thought. How many fonts do you currently have active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just set my apps up on a new computer so it is all the default fonts that are active

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many in total? What are you using for font management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CHELSEA24125035z8k9,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. It seems this is happening due to a new feature/enhancement introduced by Apple in macOS Monterey in Oct 2021. Please try turning off the "Enable Full Keyboard Access" option under Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility> Keyboard > Navigation to resolve this issue.

Anshul_Saini_4-1650660485055.png

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone has a genuine need for Full Keyboard Access (because it is an Accessibility feature), there is another solution which might be better than disabling the feature entirely. The actual cause of the problem appears to be that Apple set up the spacebar as the default shortcut for activating Full Keyboard Access on demand. So a more refined solution would be to change that shortcut so that Full Keyboard Access is activated by a different keyboard shortcut.

To do this, in Full Keyboard Access options click the (i) icon next to the toggle switch, click the Commands tab, select the Activate command, and edit its shortcut to something other than Space. (The picture below is from macOS 13 where System Settings were redesigned. In macOS 12, it will look more like Anshul’s picture and you should probably click the Options button instead.) 

macOS-Accessibilty-Full-Keyboard-Access-Activate-shortcut.jpg

It seems this is happening due to a new feature/enhancement introduced by Apple in macOS Monterey in Oct 2021.

By @Anshul_Saini

Full Keyboard Access is not new, but in macOS 12, Apple redesigned how it works. Some users may have been using Full Keyboard Access in earlier versions of macOS, but the spacebar shortcut to activate is new in the macOS 12 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works on mine! Thank you! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure when the last AI update occurred, (v28.5) but yesterday the space bar would not work, although it worked i other apps. So after trying numerous solutions, one of which recommended cleaning the spacebar and my breaking the spacebar of my year old iMac magic Keyboard, and wasting a lot of time for which I cannot bill, I found the solution was in Apple settings, Keyboard, and turning off Keyboard Navigation. I wish Adobe and Apple would stop messing around with  new bells and whistles and concentrate on stability and reliability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @gerryg83w,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps? Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines