• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar not working as quick hand tool on MAC – Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest Illustator and Photoshop version and in both of them the spacebar ain't working as quick hand tool on Mac.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 8 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

What does happen when you use the spacebar? What is most likely happening is that some other program is using the spacebar as a shortcut and superceding Illustrator and Photoshop. Try rebooting your computer and only opening Illustrator or Photoshop and see if the shortcut now works. Then you can try launching other programs until you find out which one is causing the conflict. You may also want to try simply typing an "H" (with no text active) whenever you want to quickly get the hand tool in e

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Hi Bill,

You are right in my situation it was MS Word and MS Excel. I closed them both and could use space bar in the Adobe Illustrator rightaway.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,

Arek

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Hello, in my case, it was because I had 'Enable Full Keyboard Access' on my 'Settings' -> 'Accessibility' -> 'Keyboard 'ticked. Once I unticked that, I could use the spacebar as the quickhand tool again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

I had the same problem and started to close my programs. The space bar "thief" was the native Mail app in MacOs. Closed it and it works like a charm 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Glad I found this post. Its years later and I just ran into this issue for the first time even in my 20+ years of using Adobe products. Turns out it was my open terminal that was stealing the spacebar function. Once I closed, it was working again again in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Go to the apple in the menu bar. 

Put the computer to sleep.

Wake it back up and it should work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

I fixed this by turning off all accessibility (in system Prefs) and quiting Mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

The problem was fixed when I closed Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Hi @JonVernon-DIRECTV,

I apologize for the ongoing frustration you're experiencing with this issue. This generally happens when a third-party app or process is interfering with the system keyboard. To further assist you, I kindly request that you provide the following details:

• Can you please confirm the specific version of Adobe Illustrator and the macOS you are using?
  • Have you tried starting your Mac in Safe Mode and checking if the issue persists? Safe Mode performs a series of checks and d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 148 Replies 148
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my new IMac, space bar works as a SAVE option and prevents adding space between the text. couldnt find any solutions useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screenshot and tells us the steps that are not working for you and what happens instead.

Also: If you didn't boot the computer this morning, then perhaps do that now and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Farking hell what a damn mess. Sort it out @adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Russell Neill NZ,

Sorry to hear about that. I understand your frustration. I would like to inform you that this generally happens when the third-party/ system application (Chrome/ Spotlight, etc.) is interfering with Illustrator keyboard shortcuts/ hotkeys or your Illustartror preferences have gotten corrupted.

In the first case, you may try running the app in Safe Mode (Windows/ Mac and launch Illustrator only. Then, open/ create a new document, try the hotkey/ shortcut and see if that works.

In Safe Mode, your system starts to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one, which you usually open, and see which app is conflicting with Illustrator. You can check and find the culprit app/ process/ plugin/ extension with the help of Activity Monitor/ Task Manager, and then you'll have to close/ disable/ uninstall them on your user account and then restart your machine in normal mode.

If running the app in Safe Mode doesn't help, you may try resetting Illustrator preferences.

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings.

I hope this info helps you out!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice. In my case it was also MS Word. Super strange because I've been using it along Adobe apps for many years. I just moved to a new startup drive, same setup (iMac 5K 2019, macOS Monterey 12.4, latest Adobe and Office), using macOS's Migration Assistant, so basically, the only difference with yesterday is I only the fact that I had to log back in in both Adobe and Office apps. 

As soon as I quit Word, the spacebar shortcut started working again in Adobe apps. But now, no matter what I do (launch Word before or after my Adobe apps), I cannot reproduce the bug. Mystery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same problem. Restarting the computer worked for me... no idea what caused it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happen to me and for me I narrowed it down to a sleep issue. The problem occurs when I wake it from a sleep, the spacebar does not work. To resolve the issue, I have to put the computer to sleep, wait a couple seconds then wake the computer. (On occasion I have to switch out of Illustrator to another app before I put the computer to sleep)

Definately a frustrating issue. Hopefully this solution works for others...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same annoyance here.

I'm wondering why the keyboard shortcut editor does not allow space bar instead of H as a shortcut to the Hand Tool. Toggle switch instead of momentary switch for the the tool would not be ideal, but at least there would be some kind of access to the tool through space bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same annoyance here.

I'm wondering why the keyboard shortcut editor does not allow space bar instead of H as a shortcut to the Hand Tool. Toggle switch instead of momentary switch for the the tool would not be ideal, but at least there would be some kind of access to the tool through space bar.

By @PotholePrelude

There are dozens of possible solutions, since this is not a general failure of Illustrator, but something caused by your specific setup. Please read the thread. It has 4 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the space bar is not working as expected on Illustrator it seems to work  at least on these applications:

• Photoshop

• Indesign

• Resolve
• After Effects

• Affinity Designer

I would call this a failure of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the space bar is not working as expected on Illustrator it seems to work  at least on these applications:

• Photoshop

• Indesign

• Resolve
• After Effects

• Affinity Designer

I would call this a failure of Illustrator.

By @PotholePrelude

As has been written a gazillion times in this thread: there are other applications that interfere with modifier keys.You will have to find out which one is causing that on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in my case, it was because I had 'Enable Full Keyboard Access' on my 'Settings' -> 'Accessibility' -> 'Keyboard 'ticked. Once I unticked that, I could use the spacebar as the quickhand tool again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge thank you! This solved my problem too, ie. "Enable full keyboard access" was causing the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you m this solved it. I had been on mojave for a long timne so this never happened till i was forced to upgrade to use mcoffice 2021 products. My Adode products started fritzing. Closing the MSOffice products seemed to work but this turning off full keyboard access solves it. Sorry MSOffice. It wasn't you. D$%$#@% apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.. was breaking heads on this 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fastest way to fix this issue: Put your device into sleep mode, then turn it back on. No resetting your computer, no re-opening programs. Takes only a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fastest way to fix this issue: Put your device into sleep mode, then turn it back on. No resetting your computer, no re-opening programs. Takes only a few seconds.

By @Scott24505759lv8d

Definitely worth trying, but for sure it won't work for everyone.

Please do read the complete thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys i just figured how to fix it fast, put your computer to sleep and wake it up and it works. Seems like at the core it's the os fighting the program.. Adobe vs Apple Keyboard Kombat lol, hope this helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and started to close my programs. The space bar "thief" was the native Mail app in MacOs. Closed it and it works like a charm 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this post. Its years later and I just ran into this issue for the first time even in my 20+ years of using Adobe products. Turns out it was my open terminal that was stealing the spacebar function. Once I closed, it was working again again in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PITA!  This began occurring daily after we upgraded to Adobe 2022 on Mac OS Monterey--even if only Photoshop is running. It may occur upon Photoshop startup, or suddenly occur later. The only "solution" I have found so far is to reboot with fingers crossed. I tried changing my workspace/keyboard shortcuts to see if that made a difference--nada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PITA!  This began occurring daily after we upgraded to Adobe 2022 on Mac OS Monterey--

By @quoz

Please read the complete thread. There are pointers to possible solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read the entire thread. In addition to combing through Chrome, putting it to sleep, preferences reset, etc, plus I tried changing my workspace/keyboard shortcuts. The problem continues to occur suddenly and sporadically even with no other programs running, which makes it difficult to pinpoint. As noted the only solution I've found so far is to reboot with fingers crossed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @quoz,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue despite trying the suggested solutions. Would you mind confirming the exact version of Adobe Illustrator and the OS you're using? Additionally, have you tried starting your Mac in Safe Mode to see if the issue persists? Safe Mode performs certain checks and prevents third-party software/services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one that you usually use and see which app conflicts with Illustrator. You can check and find the culprit app/process/plugin/extension with the help of Activity Monitor/Task Manager, and then you'll have to close/disable/uninstall them on your user account and then restart your machine in normal mode.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I am using Monterey 12.6.2 and Illustrator 26.5.2 (not going up to 27 yet as our graphics service provider has instructed us to wait).  I haven't tried Safe Mode because the issue disappears for a while after a reboot (until it sporadically reappears, forcing me to reboot), so rebooting into Safe Mode is rather moot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines