• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop the beeping!!!

Engaged ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like if I have something selected and use the keyboard shortcut to zoom in, the hold space bar to get the Hand tool, Illustrator CS 5 beeps. There seems to be so much beeping in the app that I've turned my sound off.

Any way to stop the beeping aside from not using the tools Illustrator gave us!?

Adobe Community Expert
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Only satisfying solution (apart from installing additional software) that I've found is to just use Alt Gr+scroll instead of alt+scroll. Alt Gr doesnt seem to activate the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 138 Replies 138
Engaged ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.  Yeah, I totally get it.  I really am glad I wasn't the only one affected by this.  It was such a wacky change that it frustrated the hell out of me.  I even chatted with the Illustrator team at AdobeMAX 2010. They were baffled.  I got in on the CS6 beta and found the problem still existed, that's when someone said to use the alt-shift-scroll.  

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS CS5, this plagued me for longer than I care to admit. Also, alt activated menus introduce a bug where changing brush size/hardness, via hotkey, switches to your previous tool. This really makes painting/sampling/erasing erratic and painful. There is a great solution to be found here. It gives you the option to turn off/on alt > menu activation, which I think is what people have really wanted.

There are perhaps a few folks who like the idea of programs strictly adhering to OS design decisions, but I think more users are interested in programs which simply work well based on the tasks being performed. I've personally never met anyone who was excited about this change, but everyone I've ever worked with has complained about the alt key's power to create a confusing and disruptive work flow (post CS4). It's sad to see that "Adobe knows best" in this case, when I doubt that their engineers/project managers moonlight as professional Photoshop users.

Unfortunately this fix is only for PS... So illustrator users will have to conform or use other workarounds like AHK. Also, I can't say if it works with CS6 or not. I'm not seeing a benefit in paying more money to a company disinterested in empowering its userbase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off system sounds in control panel may help. No beeping at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this thread needs to die. The problem no longer exists (in CC) and this was about CS5. Thanks for your assistance.     

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really? that's great news, thanks for posting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that the problem is in fact corrected in Illustrator CC, but the same problem DOES still exist in Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects (both CC and CC 2014 releases).  I hope that keeping this thread alive for a while longer will contribute to Adobe applying their new fix to the rest of the CC suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have a similar problem, but only in photoshop CS6. Im working on Mac 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, OS X 10.9.2 (13C64). Sometimes when i resize, edit, or do whatever with a layer when finished editing I press enter it want accept, i just here beep sound. It just want stop using the layer. Can't switch to any other tool using shortcuts (V,A,M..... ) Im not using the zoom tool some of you mentioned. How do I stop the beep sound and how do I make it choose tools using shortcuts??????Adobe!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nomes123, 

This may be a different issue than the one discussed in the thread.  You might inadvertently be selecting the crop tool. I have this issue but I'm using CC now. Try manually selecting the pointer tool and trying again.  Also, I've noticed a problem with the control key getting stuck on. Might check into that.

Micah

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is to quickly click on any empty space after zooming - that then sets the focus to my page instead of the menu bar. It takes some getting-used-to though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me.

Disable "Beep" from the device manager.

How to Disable the System Beep Sound in Windows 7 & Windows 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Blaskotron, did you read the whole thread? the "Beeping" sound is just a by-product of the problem, not the actual problem (that allegedly was fixed with CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm using the latest version of CC and had the beeping issue still. Fix I posted worked, however, it disables the Beep functionality across the entire OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still frequently having this problem (or one very similar) on Adobe CC. Pressing Esc does nothing. I usually fix it by getting frustrated and clicking everything I can think of to eventually get it to shut up, which it does. It's acting as if I'm trying to perform an operation while something else is active. However nothing IS active, and the noise seems to be utterly irrelevant. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys. A quick work around is to click the mouse after alt scrolling to zoom. it seems to deactivate the menu...

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread should be closed, the problem no longer exists. Turning of System Sounds does not fix the problem, the problem is that hitting alt with any other combination of keys used to activate the menu bar.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixed for everyone...hence the reason we show up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I have found to 100% resolve the issue of an opening file menu when you dont want it is as follows:

• Download AutoHotKey from their site:

www.autohotkey.com

• Once installed, open up Notepad on your computer.
  • Copy and Paste this into Notepad:

~LAlt Up:: return

• Go to File - Save as
  • Save your file as: AltSpace.ahk (NOTE: This is what I named mine. You can name it whatever you want, Just make sure it is a .ahk extension).
  • Make sure your file extension is NOT.txt, but is now .ahk
  • Once you save the file, you can close Notepad.
  • Find the saved .ahk file and double click to open it.

THAT'S IT! Now, you should not have the problem where your adobe apps open the menu when they shouldnt.

NOTE: Each time you restart or shut down your computer, you will need to double click that file again to run the script. I have it saved on my desktop for easy access.

ENJOY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem, I don't know why people keep saying that it isn't. I'm using Photoshop CC 2015. I use alt+spacebar and vertical/horizontal movement on my Wacom tablet to zoom and I also use alt to select clone source. I'm constantly activating the file menu when I don't want to.

I've tried Photoshop assistant as well as the AutoHotKey fix above. They both fix it for 10 minutes or so but then the problem comes back and I have to re-run the script or program.

Disabling sounds in Windows is not a fix for this problem. Workarounds such as extra mouse clicks and enter key strokes are not fixes.

Adobe, please make an option to disable alt file menu activation.

This is an especially frustrating problem if you are like me and switch between using Photoshop in OSX and Windows on a daily basis. Everything is nice and smooth on OSX but in Windows I'm constantly opening the file menu instead of zooming or selecting the clone source I want.

Edit: I say file menu but I mean the menu that pops up when you click on the Ps icon at the top left corner of the Photoshop window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still a problem, in CS5, CS6 and now CC.

I did not like the proposed solutions (ie sounds off and autokey), but looking through the settings menu I did find a solution.

Basically there's an option to zoom in and out using only the scroll-wheel. So there's no need to use the ALT key anymore. I realised that I wasn't using the scroll-wheel for anything else, to this is a perfect solution for me.

In CS6 you can find this option in Preferences->General->Zoom with scroll-wheel

In CC it's in Preferences->Tools>Zoom with scroll-wheel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beeping is still a problem (CC 2015).

I have read the entire thread, and although its not a fix, I think the easiest solution for me is to switch of the error sound in the Windows 10 control panel.

Thanks to the other posters above for suggesting it and giving details on how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this annoying beep has nothing to do with adobe Photoshop. You just need to adjust some windows settings-

1. Go to windows control panel

2.open "manage audio devices"

3.it will pop up a window named "sound"

4.click on sounds and you will see a list "program events"

5. scroll it a bit and you will find "default beep"

6. Adjust it to "none" from the drop down menu given below.

And enjoy Photoshopping without getting distracted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@owais91: False. All you did was resolve the sound notification issue associated with typing while being in active menu mode. What really needs to happen is one of the following 2:

- disabling activation of the menus in all Adobe programs through hitting "Alt"

- substitute alt+scrollwheel for zoom in/out with a different combination.

Adobe, this is a no-brainer. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found the ultimate solution for cs6 bip, u have to go to windows sounds, search for DEFAULT BIP, in the lower part there is a menu, you have to select the first choice, No sound

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines