• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop the beeping!!!

Community Expert ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like if I have something selected and use the keyboard shortcut to zoom in, the hold space bar to get the Hand tool, Illustrator CS 5 beeps. There seems to be so much beeping in the app that I've turned my sound off.

Any way to stop the beeping aside from not using the tools Illustrator gave us!?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Only satisfying solution (apart from installing additional software) that I've found is to just use Alt Gr+scroll instead of alt+scroll. Alt Gr doesnt seem to activate the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 138 Replies 138
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2011 Aug 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To any who may still be experiencing this problem, there is an identical thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3092204

If you don't want to read the entire thing, the fixes developed in that thread are now hosted here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cs5altfix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hello. I am also being driven mad by the relentless beeping in photoshop 5. This never happened before in any other version and has pretty much rendered photoshop useless to me as I use only hotkeys to do speed photo editing. Unlike everyone here that is trying to zoom, I am using alt+shift hotkeys to access menus for photo image editing. Every time I use alt anything the menu bar is highlighted and I get a beep when trying to use the next hotkey. Disabling the beep sound does not help because then I will not know which hotkeys actually took effect as I am editing through pictures quickly. I tried downloading the disable alt key program but it also disabled some hotkeys and still didn’t work entirely when I used hotkeys that had shift+alt, for some reason this went back to highlighting the menu bar. Additionally my virus program said it was a virus when I downloaded, which was unnerving. I tried the hotkeys program too but I am not a programmer, couldn’t figure out how to use it. Is there any update from adobe on fixing this? It seems like an easy patch would eliminate this problem which has rendered a very expensive program practically useless, unless you don’t mind taking twice as long to do everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me INSANE!!!!!!!  Usually I just hit alt everytime it beeps and then go about my business, but whenever I have a lot of work to do in a short amount of time-  EVERYTHING I TRY TO DO IS THWARTED!!!!  I use quick keys/ short cuts constantly, and every other one I hit beeps, and I imagine strangling some digital computer monkey to death.  If someone can fix this, PLEASE DO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody!

My English is not well, and it is seems some late, but I can help to somebody with this problem from now.

My point is change ALT keys scancodes, but change they simple.

You have to create text file in Notepad, and make its extension to .reg. Than, put into the file these strings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,38,E0,38,00,38,00,38,E0,00,00,00,00

Save the file, close Notepad and dobleclick the file. It puts codes in your Registry, after this you have to reboot your computer.

Enjoy!

AlexMoo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that it changes the default behavior in other applications. I don't want to change other applications, I want Illustrator to work the way it used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, a previous poster got this one... the "new" combo is Alt-LeftShift-Scroll.  Works great, no beeping. Now to retrain the fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Micah!

Well, you right bout "other applications". I find some... features in Photoshop: clone stamp tool can`t pick source with old Right-ALT key. Anyway still I prefer my workaround, than retrain the fingers)))

Thank you!

Bye!

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable changes:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]

"Scancode Map"=-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Requires Windows and Autohotkey)

My original script had an issue with alt+shift for resizing shapes.

This new script sends escape after you release alt, which resolves that;

and it only functions while illustrator is the active window.

You don't need to be a programmer to follow the first fives steps here:

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm

and then copy and paste the script below.

If you can use illustrator, you can install a program and copy / paste some text into notepad.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class illustrator

~alt up::Send, {Esc}

#IfWinActive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it working in 64bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I use Autohotkey_L (essentially a version that is updated by a community pro)

which allows you to choose "Unicode (64bit)" during installation.

The interpreter is incredibly fast, and lightweight,
so you don't have to worry about it affecting computer performance.
Making it work only while illustrator is active
allows you to just forget about the script instead of having to suspend it,
or close it, when you switch to another program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole thing will take you less than two minutes.

I made a video tutorial for the visual learners. :-]

http://youtu.be/3c8MKPiYFVw

(watch in 720p)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very mush!

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also experienced the same beeping and i got to this forum.

In InDesign CS5 if I use Alt+space to get the free hand it beeps like hell, if I simply use space outside text or image, or even on pasteboard i get the free hand and it doesn't sound at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using the CS6 trial...

This problem has not been fixed at all, in any application. Just mind-boggling how they have missed this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the issue has been carried over into CS6.  During the beta I did post this as a bug, but it was set to deferred.  I believe this indicates that this is the way Adobe wants it now.  The fix is to use Alt-Left Shift-Scroll Wheel

😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest holding "Z" plus left mouse n drag.  Get used to it pretty quick.  Zooms to mouse pointer, more or less.

OH SHAZ!! this only works in photoshop, NOT ILLUSTRATOR. now to go hang myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate "Default Beep" in Windows Sound settings.

Works well. Unless you are dependant on beeps in other contexts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why do people keep answering with this?

the problem for me, coming from CS3, was that i was unexpectedly selecting the menu bar all the time. if i tried to use a shortcut immediately after, it'd activate a menu item rather than doing what i expected. the problem is worse in indesign because you can't just click on your document to have the menu deselect - you have to press alt again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

people keep suggesting silly fixes because people don't read the whole thread to realize what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^^ yes, this (aborting!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  I just had to learn to live with it, but the real answer was to use alt-Shift-Scroll Wheel to zoom rather than just alt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed there isn't a real solution posted here.  . . After encountering the same issue myself I think I fixed it. You basically need to disable the sound itself at the source.

Control Panel>Sounds>change system sounds>default beep>change the sound from "windows ding"  to "none">apply changes and enjoy a beep free experience.

This allows you to hit alt and whatever other keys you like without hearing the unavoidable error beep. Does not change any functionality, everything works as it should.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You basically need to disable the sound itself at the source.

NO NO NO.   Kill this thread. 

The solution is to use alt-shift-scrollwheel rather than the old alt-scrollwheel.   Using alt activates the menus. Note that the original post (mine) was 3 years ago.

The problem was not the beeping, per-se, but the activation of the menus by hitting the alt-key, a function that started in CS5.  Telling folks to disable their sound is not a solution.  Thanks for trying.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. I guess I should have put "solution" in quotes, you're right it's really a bandaid on the problem as you said. I think there are many users (myself included) who had been using only alt to zoom in various programs for years so I found this better than retraining my hand to hit alt+shift.

Thanks for the clarification.

Killing the sound does work though. . . Hitting  alt (activating the menu) then holding space to reposition creates the error of course, but immediately overrides to panning.  . . No harm done and now no beeping either.

Anyways you're right this thread should probably die.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines