Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke appearing around text box when creating outlines

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm creating outlines of this text here (using placeholder text as I work for a packaging company and don't want to share private client info), please see first text box. 

When I outline this (using create outlines) it puts a stroke around the text box. 

It isn't happening in all cases, just this one. Wondered if there was workaround for this that anyone knows of?

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 09.26.10.png

 

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 09.26.29.png

 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JasperCat10 wrote on April 22:

When I outline this (using create outlines) it puts a stroke around the text box. 

Hi 

Can you go to View > Presentation Mode to see if the lines still appear? Once you create Outlines, you don't have a text frame anymore. It may just be the non-printing Edges (View > Hide/Show Edges), but it's a little hard to tell without seeing other panels, such as Appearance. 

To clarify, all you are doing is typing text and converting to Outlines? Do you have a before image as well as an after image?

Apologies for the long delay in seeing your question.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. 

I've tried View > Presentation Mode and can still see the box around the text.

I've attached a few more screenshots, not sure if it's helpful or not. When we are saving our outlined files as PDF's the box also stays. We send a live file and an outlined file to client and when doing our comparison checks, this is when we noticed that only the outlined file as the box around the text. 

When we first came across this, I did some digging around and some suggested it was a bug, but I haven't been able to find much else on it. 

The only workaround we currently have is ungrouping and deleting the box manually. As we work on different ranges, often the box is appearing on different panels etc so sometimes we do miss it. 

Definitely seems a bit of a strange one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very helpful if you could share an example Illustrator file with the text before it is outlined.

Dropbox, CC filesharing, Google, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JasperCat10 

One thing to mention when you share your file:

Illustrator now allows copy and paste of artboards when in Artboard mode. You said it isn't happening in all cases, just this one, so you should be able to create a sample file for us with just one artboard and dummy text. We don't need the entire file with private information.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the issue consistently repeatbale on certain text containers?

Yes please post a sample so we can diagnose. This will help us tremendously, to find the issue.

Tell us about the history of the file. Was it created from scratch, or might it be imported or from a file saved a long time ago under older version of AI?

Try with hollow arrow tool selecting the text container, then clean appearance, especially if you see anything different than stroke of none.

MikeGondek_0-1652367647465.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and haven't been able to find a solution except manually fixing files after exporting. I've attached a couple of files to see if they help.

Note: If I create a new file and try the outlining process that creates this issue on my working files, it doesn't happen. I don't know the whole history of the files I'm sharing, as they came from an agency before I gained ownership. 

Thanks for any help/insight. 

I've created links to these files... this form won't let me post the files. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj1u9fuwxuallpj/LD-Sleep-04.ai?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3snlonmnt21w0c9/LD-Sleep-04-O.ai?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why that is happening, but if you change your area type text box to point type it stops happening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the workaround, but it doesn't take care of what feels like a bug.🤪 The files should export the way they are intended.

Thanks! @Met1 !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It must be something with the text object maybe caused within the file's history. Could be damage to the file or a plugin that created the object.

The line also does not happen when you outline the text by "Flatten transparency" (you don't need actual transparency in order to be able to use that function)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines