• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke will not appear on object

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm runinng Ilustrator CC 23.0.1, and my workflow involves bringing very large vector objects into Illustrator via an SVG from QGIS 2.18.24. Every once in a while, the object I bring in will not appear to have a stroke, but Illustrator will claim it does have one. No matter what I do to manipulate the stroke, including removing and re-adding, changing width, etc., has no effect. It remains without a stroke in appearance. I've ungrouped the path, simplified it, expanded it (when set to no stroke), and made sure it wasn't a compound path. I've restarted Illustrator. None of these things have an effect. However, if I expand it when I have a stroke width set, it will expand properly, showing the outline of the non-existant stroke.

There is one intriguing little exception - when there is an extremely sharp corner in the path, a bit of stroke will appear. Strangely the shape of this fragment of corner is not affected by changing the corner, end, or stroke alignment, though it seems like there should be some effect.

[EDIT: Apparently the strange bit that did have an outline was an isolated separate bit of stroke, not just a sharp corner.]

This has happened before, but I'm against a wall in this case - I don't have a good workflow option to get around it.

I'm assuming there is some property in the SVG that is interpreted strangely by Illustrator, and is leading to this bug.  I was wondering if it had something to do with the direction of the stroke, so I reversed that, but no effect there either.

I attached a screenshot showing relevant settings in a very zoomed-in section with the strange corner effect.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

I found a solution! Fiddling with the appearance menu in an attempt to expand what it shows as suggested by Ton_Frederiks, I found that if I click "Clear Appearance" this removes whatever the offending attribute is.

So to lay it out for anyone who googles into this thread in the future:

• Select the offending object.
  • Open the appearance menu (e.g. by going to Window -> Appearance)
  • Click the hamburger (little horizontal lines) at the upper right corner of the Appearance menu, and select "Clear Appeara

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

I downloaded your file and it was what I suspected, your stroke had an opacity setting of 0%.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

You're in Outline mode. Go to View > Preview (Ctrl + Y).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. with your suggestion now it works!!!!   THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with an svg file of a qr code created on a website. I open up the svg in Illustrator and the black on transparent qr code is defined as a path in the appearance panel. However, im unable to do anything with the piece and it looks and acts as if it is a raster piece. Unable to to expand appearance, unable to release compound path, unable to add a stroke, unable to apply any pathfinder function, uable to see individual anchors or path outlines, unable to image trace, AND unable to select any clippings mask option from the top menu. Clearing the appearnce made it disapear without any outlines. After tweaking out for sometime in frustration I opened the transparency panel and noticed a mask. I released the mask and problem solved! So lame! I would feel like a complete idiot had it not been for the fact that all the mask transparency settings were greyed out in the dropdown menus above with the exception of flatten transparency. I gave flatten transparency no mind during my troubleshoot becuase duh, it was an already flat blak and white single layer vector file with no effects etc (except for a redundant transparency mask, cheap qr generator sheesh). So frustrating. ^(*ï¿£(oo)ï¿£)^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEY! After an exhaustive troubleshooting session (reinstalling and whatnot), I ended finding a solution. View>Pixel Preview. Viola!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines