Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

#StylishStrokes Availability?

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I've been trying to find an easy/effcient way to convert fonts to monoline/centerline. I came across this Adobe MAX video from 2021 that covers the new "Stylish Strokes" features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uUXy4051w

My Illustrator is up to date and I'm not seeing the option to set the brush to apply to fill. Does anyone have information on when this feature will be available??

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , How-to , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

The Stylish Strokes video is interesting, but the demo video shows some hints at possibly why we haven't seen this feature roll out to Adobe Illustrator yet. It's one thing for a computer to automatically find the center line along a single stroke, like the stripes going down the center of a two-lane highway. The joins where two strokes meet, such as the junction in a "T", is the big challenge. That's where the automatic results get sloppy.

It's just like the Photoshop Inner Bevel tool when th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Stylish Strokes video is interesting, but the demo video shows some hints at possibly why we haven't seen this feature roll out to Adobe Illustrator yet. It's one thing for a computer to automatically find the center line along a single stroke, like the stripes going down the center of a two-lane highway. The joins where two strokes meet, such as the junction in a "T", is the big challenge. That's where the automatic results get sloppy.

It's just like the Photoshop Inner Bevel tool when the effect is maxed out. You get all these ugly, bowled out artifacts at the stroke corners and joins. I've never seen a computer effect be able to auto-generate something like the "prismatic" effect you see in the Trajan Color typeface. That has to be built via subjective human decision making (and some manual labor).

The same goes for any font that has an inline effect. The type designer usually has to build up those effects using various techniques (single step blends, drawing by hand, etc). In sign work I've had to do that sort of thing for neon tube patterns and other tasks.

Maybe AI technology can catch up to this problem and provide a smarter way to auto-generate center line or prismatic bevel effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines