Supplied Illustrator file layers corrupt with unrecognisable names

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I had been supplied an illustrator file from an artist that had their work separated into layers. There were then some amends to the file and it was resupplied by the artist, however in this new file all the items seem to have been split into layers with unrecognisable layer names and the original layers had disappeared. The artist is using CS5 and i convert the file to latest version V25.4.1 (what ever that is in CS!). 

Can anybody shed any light on this, please see attached screen grabs of how the layers came through on the original file and the new file.

Thanks,

Martin

TOPICS
Bug, Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that just an expanded view of one of the layers?

What do you need to do to the file - curious why you need to open the file if the modifications were already done?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Met1,

Thanks for your post!

No it seems to have lost the top level layers, please see attached.

At this stage I don't need to edit the file but I may do later and I am always curious of any issues and like to get to the bottom of them.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file looks like the PDF part of it has been opened. This often happens when it has been handed to a lower version.

Please see this about Illustrator files: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monika Gause,

Thanks for your post!

I watched the video and this would add up if the file was going the other way, from me running latest version to artist running an earlier version. There are other people involved in this process and the only thing I can think is that the artist got hold of my file and opened in an earlier version but she has said the the layers are intact on the file that she worked on.

But as Met1 alluded too, not worth spending too much time as I have the file as I need it!

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines