• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tab leader alignment bug

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a bug. Notice that without a leader character, the right side % symbols all line up properly.
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.44.13 AM.png

Now, with a '.' added as a leader character, the last % is knocked out of alignment.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.44.25 AM.png

I've tried to use a decimal-justified tab...

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.47.36 AM.png

...but the same exact misalignment occurs when I add a '.' as a leader character.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 10.47.46 AM.png

Thanks, Adobe Illustrator, for making my life difficult for the last 34 years.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

I was able to reproduce this.

Since you didn't mention version, I tested both CC2024 and an older one (CC2020). It did it in both, so this is not a new issue.

In my case, it was not limited to the last item, but any item depending on the number of digits and it also changes depending on font, and also what charcater you used for the leader. e.g. if you used period-space, it doesn't happen.

I did notice that if you changed the Type specs to toggle from Fractional Widths to System Layout, the ef

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't reproduce that. Can you share a demo file?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-07 um 20.08.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could, but this site will not allow a simple Illustrator file to be uploaded. I guess we found another bug.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.15.33 AM.png

I've been able to correct the alignment with kerning, but for whatever reason, adding a leading period character throws off the alignment of the last line every single time on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce this.

Since you didn't mention version, I tested both CC2024 and an older one (CC2020). It did it in both, so this is not a new issue.

In my case, it was not limited to the last item, but any item depending on the number of digits and it also changes depending on font, and also what charcater you used for the leader. e.g. if you used period-space, it doesn't happen.

I did notice that if you changed the Type specs to toggle from Fractional Widths to System Layout, the effect disappears, so that might be your option for now.

It also dispapears if you change the OpenType to another type of Lining, e.g. Tabular lining.

Regardless, this shouldn't be happening AT ALL, so I consider this to be a bug.

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 12.23.05 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2024-05-07 at 12.25.08 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also seen similar inconsistencies, Brad.

Moreover, toggling from Fractional Widths to System Layout and then back to Fractional Widths seems to surprisingly cure the issue as well. Can you confirm that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but not consistently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brad, can you perhaps clarify the inconsistence you're observing when toggling from Fractional Widths to System Layout and then back to Fractional Widths?

Please don't get me wrong. I agree it is a bug, but as far as I can see, this workaround always works. Probably I'm wrong as I did not test it sufficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, switching between kerning modes from, say, Auto to 0 also toggles the errant effect... no matter if it's set to Fractional or System, again inconsistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for figuring out how to fix this, Brad. I'd already determined that changing the kerning to auto on the last line fixed it, but your solution works well and I can be more easily applied when required. I agree that it's still a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines