• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Temp files in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read several related posts on this issue, but none sounded quite the same as what I'm seeing.
Running Illustrator 25.2.1 on Mac/Catalina, saving to a Mac configured (afp) server.

Randomly (non-reproducable) Illustrator will create .tmp files in which changes are saved. Adjustments in the original file are not stored in the .ai, but in the .tmp. This happens when Cmd-S, but also when Cmd-Shift-S and overwriting the original .ai. Cmd-Shift-S with a different filename works without issues.
At times the .tmp file cannot be deleted (only after disconnecting the connection with the server), sometimes the .tmp file can be deleted. However, deleting the tmp file results in loss of (adjusted) data.
The .tmp files can be renamed to .ai.

This issue started occurring after updating our  Macs to Catalina and Adobe CC2020.
Save (and Export) in background are unchecked, we tested with both Autmatic recovery checked and unchecked, also tested Optimize File Open ... with both checked and unchecked.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I cannot find any info or help anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test try saving directly to your hard drive. Also do a save as and turn of pdf compatible (unless you are importing to InDesign or After Effects). No reason for PDF compatible to be on for most people big waste of time and space and stress on server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike_Gondek
I know it's a server issue. Saving locally doesn't cause these temp files to remain. They briefly appear when the file is saved, but disappear again when the saving's done.
I'm not so much bothered by the temp files per se, but the issue is with the inconsistency of changes being saved into the temp file vs the original ai file.
I need to be able to trust that the temp file is just that: a temp file, and that they can be deleted without having to worry that my .ai file isn't the latest version of the work.

And we indeed fall in the small group of people who need the pdf compatibility, so can't switch that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too. Illustrator 27.2 , Mac Ventura 13.2. 

This new issue has coincided with a recent update to the Google Drive sync software + updating to Ventura. I assume Ventura changed something that in turn meant Drive had to change how it works. It now seems to create a server (listed in finder under Locations) when before it was just mirroring files in normal local if that makes sense. I am just guessing, I don't have much knowledge about this stuff but it seems like that's what is going on.

AI files are not updating, neither are PDFs that I export from the AI file, lots of temp files are getting created. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Seems to be directly related to the new update from google drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GloFX0101_0-1686586468198.png

use these settings:

Uncheck these:
Automatically save revcovery data
Save in background
Automatically save cloud documents.
or try switching on or off one of the above.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines