• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on path/curve is disappearing after reopening the file in Illustrator v27.7

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bug/issue on curviligne Text / text on path or curve.

After designing and saving the Illustrator file, everything seems normal.

Once I reopen the Illustrator file, then the text that has been placed on a curve (Type on a Path) disappears.

This has happened in different working files of mine.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Anubhav,

I was actually given the go ahead to get the latest version (28.6) installed on my workstation today, and to my surprise, my quick initial test was successful. Hoping others are able to do the same, I will be back to report my experience after a more thorough test drive... Thanks, so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Hello everyone,

Our team has tried addressing this problem in Illustrator 28.6. Would you mind updating to the latest version of Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4dhoeiu) and sharing your observations?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have some more information for us?

OS, Illustrator version, screenshots and so on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for your answer (sorry for my english)

OS Windows 10 and 11

Illustrator version 27.7

Here is some screens

This kind of text on a path or curve disappears when reopening a file. I have to double click on it to make it reappear. I save, and it disappeared again at the opening... etc... etc...

When I export as pdf it also disappears...

when double clic.pngtext0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the whole selected path and unfold your "Green" layer in layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here it is

Thanks again

Capture d’écran 2023-07-27 125104.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Is your text only invisible (but still in your file and you can select it? Or isn't the text Not longer in your file?

Was your path text rotated? (There was a similar bug in a fewer version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is invisible, only the path is here.

and when I try to reedit it or double click on it or copy past it, it reappears.

My main problem with this is that when I export to pdf for printing the text is completly invisible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm at work now.

Maybe later in the evening. Can you upload a simplified file (without confidential Data) with that behaviour and link here in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, here is a simplify file of the problem. with fonts.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmQk-1DYlyE9geNybwWPt1NIxTIuOA?e=b7bCkS

Tks for your time

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open your file, the text becomes visible after clicking with the text tool.

It warns that the text was created in an older version, which seems to be last year in Illustrator 25 and should not be a problem.

When I do a Save As, the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Ton Frederiks and thanks for your answer.

yes I know, the problem is that by working on the file for a long time as I do, by adding text, by modifying etc... it ends up disappearing again for no apparent reason...

I downgraded my version of illustrator to 27.0.1 and I no longer have this problem.

(the problem start, for me..., with version 27.7)

Thanks again for your time and answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pixxxelschubser when I downgrade my version of Illustrator to 27.0.1 the problem seems to be solved.

so I still think it's a bug in the latest version of Illustrator 27.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anubhav M 

do you have an idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stom__ 

please follow this thread for possible future problem resolution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/text-disappearing-when-outlined-adobe-illustr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stom__,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with curvilinear text disappearing in Illustrator files.

To resolve this, I recommend trying the following steps:

1. Make a duplicate of the affected files for safety.
  2. Change the font color of the curvilinear text to something different.
  3. Revert the font color back to its original settings using the same hex color values.

Please check if this workaround resolves the problem. Let me know if you encounter the same behavior in other files so we can further investigate and find a solution.

Thanks to @pixxxelschubser for bringing this to our attention.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue happening to me. Illustrator 2023 27.7 CC Mac. Super frustrating especially when sending to print. Learning to quadruple check files before and after saving is now apart of my process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 100% true, I almost lost a client because of this issue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I have a complaint because the text on the path disappeared after converting to curves. Mac, Illustrator 27.8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when using Type  > Outline this happened?

While that is not fixed, can you try Object > Flatten transparency (check outline text)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @joshuah93917745 @yellowicz,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing the issue with text on a path disappearing after converting to curves. Would you mind trying the steps suggested above and see if that helps?

If this workaround doesn't resolve the problem, could you share the file with us for further analysis? Also, could you confirm whether Pantone color was used as a fill for the text?

Your input will help us investigate and find a solution. Thank you!

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY!! @Anshul_Saini This indeed works.

After performing the steps suggested I saved the file and then closed it. I then quit Illustrator for a "complete" test in my mind or if there was caching involved.

When opening the file as an .aic (Adobe Creative Cloud Document) and a regular desktop .ai file I no longer receive the "legacy/older version of Illustrator" error.

While it is a pretty significant bug I appreciate the solution. It has saved me a lot of time in trying to present illustrations to others.

I'll also submit/report the bug as I'm sure others have.

Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I opened the file(s) again today, (following morning), and the problem has reoccured, giving the same "prior version..." alerts. I can get past the prompts and update the text as aked in the prompt, but this is still a large issue.

As a side note, this file and others have worked correctly and consistently within the last weeks. I can't pinpoint the last time I opened these and/or if it correlates to a product update or Illustrator itself.

Thanks for reviewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @dickkirkland,

Thank you for sharing your experience and updates regarding the issue you've been facing in Illustrator. I'm glad to hear that the solution I suggested initially worked for you, allowing you to save the file without encountering the "legacy/older version of Illustrator" error. It's wonderful to know that this solution has been beneficial in your efforts to present your illustrations to others efficiently. I completely understand how such bugs can impact productivity and collaboration.

However, it's unfortunate to learn that the problem has reoccurred, even after the solution seemed to work initially. The sporadic nature of this issue, as you've described, can indeed be perplexing and frustrating. The inconsistency you're experiencing could be related to various factors.

Considering the complexity of the situation and to provide you with the best assistance, I'd like to kindly ask for your help. If possible, could you share the affected file with us? This would greatly aid our team in analyzing the problem more comprehensively.

Additionally, if you could provide a screenshot or a screen recording capturing the issue in action, it would be incredibly helpful. This visual context can provide our team with valuable insights into the problem's behavior.

Thank you once again for your patience and cooperation. We look forward to assisting you in resolving this matter.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines