• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file has been modified outside of Illustrator.

Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This file has been modified outside of Illustrator. Do you want to continue?"

I keep getting this message. Anyone know what it means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,
Feb 17, 2008 Feb 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means Illustrator thinks you (or someone else) opened the file in an application other than Illustrator, possibly made some edits, and then saved.

In the second part of the message, Illustrator would like to know whether you want to proceed with opening the file.

It's a disclaimer of sorts. Illustrator will open and let you work on the modified file, but if things get really messed up, Illustrator is not to be considered at fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2008 Mar 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer didnt help at all Harron. Thanks for reiterating in detail what the error message says. Obviously the person is asking because its probably not a possibility that anyone else can be working on the file when its sitting on your local desktop and not on a server.

-Disgruntled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it all the time. It has to do with ESKO plug-ins that we use  with illustrator. Can't get rid of it. Tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2008 Mar 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this message on opened and saved by me file without even closing the file from Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2008 Mar 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have bridge running? it can occur when it opens the file to cache it and closes it again. Also if preview or something simmilar does this. It's nothing to worry about for the most part, other than being annoying.

BRETT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get this message quiet a lot!

it is at most annoying, although I get the added problem in that after I have had this message the file will fail to print until i close down the file and re open it again!!

Any suggestions most welcome??

BTW I am saving to a shared Network drive if this makes a difference, although no one else is using the file or indeed illustrator.

Cheers Gurus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably opened the file in Acrobat and modified something or have a linked file say a .psd place in the document and it was altered
without updating it in Illy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah something like that would make sense, but i simply save the file as you do, then make some more alterations or tweeks then hit save again then hey presto! weird message appears. I have been no where else at all, in Illustrator all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on the file locally or over a net. Sometimes the server time is not synchronized properly and this will cause this error message to be dislayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this all the time lately. I get it at work where my work is saved on a server and I get it at home locally where there is only me working on a file and no one else. Even at work, it would only ever be me working on the file at any one time. It's really annoying. I do use Bridge though so unless Illustrator thinks someone has edited the file simply by having it open in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got that message all the time in Illustrator and Photoshop. It may be something else but I think it is Suitcase which is set to automatically load fonts associated with files and programs. I don't think I've got that warning before using Suitcase but it could be some Windows 7 upgrades handling previews in open folders differently. I also often get Windows Explorer warnings "can't rename file because it is open in another program"  and this is often a file preview on the right pane of an open folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the original post is old... looks like more than a few have posted to it since.

I have the same issue lately myself. Working in CS5, Win7, no network at all. I do my work on my home PC and live alone so, should eliminate anyone else accessing the file. I have Google Chrome open, nothing else apart from Illustrator (no bridge, lightroom, etc) and still get this message randomly when saving.

Anyone ever figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it might be related to running an Extensis font manager. I'm running Suitcase Fusion 4 and have this problem, too. Forums are suggesting disabling Font Sense. I haven't figure out how to do that so I can't verify that it resolves this pesty problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be, I have Suitcase Fusion 3 as well running on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the responses here. I disabled all of my Suitcase Fusion plugins for Illustrator and have gotten the message again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got it for the first time ever, and all I did was switch my color mode from RGB to CMYK, went to save, and got the message. I am working at home, no network. However, I've been on CS6, got a CC trial a month ago, and converted yesterday to a team subscription. That has to be why right? But I don't know what could have happened to my file in one minute's time? Is it a default prompt now that I'm on a team, an Adobe disclaimer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this? I've been using Illustrator for decades and I have never seen this message. I'm noticing all sorts of odd things in Adobe software since upgrading to MacOS High Sierra. Creative Cloud is up to date. Thanks. Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 6.13.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AmyTurilli  schrieb

What is this? I've been using Illustrator for decades and I have never seen this message. I'm noticing all sorts of odd things in Adobe software since upgrading to MacOS High Sierra. Creative Cloud is up to date. Thanks. Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 6.13.57 PM.png

Illustrator is not ready for High Sierra.

Known issues - Running Illustrator CC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Also: the original question is from 2008. The issue might be related, but probably it's not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When can we expect Adobe to catch up and release High Siera-ready apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error is popping up since I have updated to High Sierra as well. Running CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thegmang  schrieb

This error is popping up since I have updated to High Sierra as well. Running CS6.

High Sierra has introduced a new file system.

Illustrator CS6 might not be compatible to it. If you want to continue to use CS6, downgrade your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are all replying to an old post, you may have better success starting a new thread as have see a a few of these related to High Sierra. Please list both your OS & Illustrator version when posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me. After upgrade to High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines