• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This is driving me INSANE. Whenever I want to zoom in, illustrator jumps to the center of whatever object I have selected.

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I turn this feature off? I'm trying to work on something very intricate so I'm constantly zooming in or out and it's so incredibly frustrating that it automatically jumps my view to the center of the object instead of the center of what I was looking at. Does that make any sense? It's like I can't zoom in if I have ANY object selected because it will jump me to the center of whatever area that is. And so then I have to either zoom back out, deselect the object, zoom in where I want to be, THEN select the object, or I have to scroll forever until I get to the area I want to be. SO annoying. Can anyone help with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Hi,

We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.

Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Eng

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way to stop this, but these 2 ideas can help regain some sanity.

1. hold down Command Space then marquee drag your zoom tool
  2. Option drag your scroll wheel if you have one

Yes this new feature sounded like a good idea on the outside, but have had nothing but complaints about this and for the few new improvements in 2017 I decided to go back to 2015.3 mostly because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new zoom function is sometimes helpful but more often it's not. Please give us an option to revert to the previous function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is terrible just wanted to vote in agreement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks we need your support to get Adobe to understand how seriously terrible this option is. Please voice your support to change zoom to selection on the spot below, as posts with heavy action usually get their attention.

Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are pleased to inform you that your request is available in the latest release of Illustrator version 22.0.

Visit your Adobe Creative Cloud Application and update. If you do not see an update on the application please check for update from the flyout options on the application after clicking on three vertical dots. For step by step process please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Checkforupdates

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Adobe. Make It an Experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is over 6yrs old and now we're in 2024 and I'm experiencing the same thing! I have Illustrator 24 and it still exists. Extremely frustrating! Please fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences > Selection & Anchor display, you just need to uncheck "Zoom to selection"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @WillD81,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Monika helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences as described in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and checking if it helps.

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines