Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Touching adjacent lines with thickness

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I want to draw adjacent lines with a thickness (say 6pt) that touch each other. It's probably easier to see in the diagram below. I want the red and blues lines to abutt each other without any gaps or overlaps.

I can obviously tweek it until it looks right, but I wondered if there was an easier way?

Example - adjacent lines.png

Many thanks in advance,

Lee

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try: Use the object menu --> path --> Offset Path (with 6pt) to create a circumferentially enlarged duplicate of your "red" path. (You may need to touch up a little in the sharp corners). Then drag this duplicate off the "blue" path with the pathfinder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That is so difficult.

I would turn the problem completely around.

I would try to:

• start with a large rectangle
  • use a tool to cut the rectangle (scissors or knife tool or the eraser tool> set width= 1/2 stroke size)
  • automatically, the 2 edges of the shapes created would be perfectly against one another
  • either keep your stroke on the inside so the colours do not overlap, or use Object>Path>Ofset to ofset each share of half a stroke width
  • Use the direct selction arrow (white arrow) to remove segments you do not want

EricDumas_0-1671735496526.png

Here I used the eraser at 10pts width and strokes at 5pts

EricDumas_1-1671735720049.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leep40312335 

Maybe your problem wouldn't exist if you just used contiguous paths and aligned the outline inwards (I know this doesn't work with all path variations, but maybe it works for you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I don't know any better, I'd just use the transform tool. (It's almost vertical so 6pt up with copy).

If you're doing this 50 times a day then sure, a process would be nice, but for one off, this seems the easiest and quickest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year! Sorry for not replying sooner (Christmas and all that).

Thanks for all your suggestions; the solution for me was a combination of them! In the end I drew the line where needed it with a thickness of 6pt, then I used Object > Path > Outline Stroke and deleted the bits I didn't need, leaving me with two 'parallel' lines. I then applied a thickness of 6pt to each line.

leep40312335_0-1672686268134.png

As an aside; When I tried the 'Offset Path' method, it was in mm rather than point size. I assume there is a preference I can set somewhere?

Cheers and thanks again for your help,

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

… As an aside; When I tried the 'Offset Path' method, it was in mm rather than point size. I assume there is a preference I can set somewhere? …

By @leep40312335

What unit of measurement are your rulers set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines