• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency on fill, not stroke?

LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to apply transparency to the fills of objects without affecting their strokes?

The way I usually do things is to adjust opacity in the Transparency palette and then paste a copy of the object in front with no fill and a 100% opaque stroke.

But is there another way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Steve,

If you click to select the Fill in the Appearance palette/panel, you should be able to set its Opacity/Transparency separately (unless some new feature since 10 prevents it).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

If you click to select the Fill in the Appearance palette/panel, you should be able to set its Opacity/Transparency separately (unless some new feature since 10 prevents it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a bit differnt than 10... just expand the Fill in the Appearance panel and it has it's own opacity setting.

001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, SW and Mike,

Thanks everybody. Jacob gets the popcorn but only because he was first!

Strange that you can't alter the opacity values from the Appearance palette only. There's no way of tampering with them there. It's just read-only info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the fill prior to changing transparency, to assign that transparency only to the fill, and not global to the entire path.

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am less worried about the development, as it seems that the way I suggested is still viable, as one of (at least) two.

Are there other (new) ways?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. It's just easier access now. You can actually change most attributes via the Appearance panel. That blue text is clickable and will pop up a transparency panel right there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually change most attributes via the Appearance panel.

I'm on CS3. Looks like they've done something sensible since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Steve.

I presume being over here may give a lead in the first part of the day. But often I am surprised how early some of those over there turn up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe CS4 added the live clicking to bring up panels... CS5 added the visibility toggle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines