• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Colorize Smoke, but checkered Layer is Showing.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, 

I am trying to make a vector graphic for a t-shirt design, but I downloaded the smoke element as white. The smoke needs to match the brand color red. I was able to place red over the white smoke to create an overlay, but when I remove the checkered layer that came inside the smoke file, the smoke doesn't remain transparent. When I replace the checkered layer with the overlay, the smoke is still wrong.(Not transparent.)Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 12.00.10 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-26 at 11.59.54 AM.png

The goal is export the soke as a vector in red with a transparent background. What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

The fact it was delivered in an EPS does not mean vector.. the smoke is very definitely raster based (edit: or raser effect e.g. mesh gradient) and can never be vector itself, but CAN be placed in a vector file. You also have to consider the printing process you intend to use, and what your substrate is. e.g. if you want to print a red cloud on a black t-shirt, you must use opaque red ink or print a white underlayer. But let's ignore this for the moment.

Monika's link shows you why these files a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand right that smoke image is bmp(raster) not vector?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ares Hovhannesyan,

Yes, I believe it is. It's an EPS version. (FILE #: 177745457)

Thank you!

Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might get difficult. This is probably not a raster file. Talkto your print service if a raster file would work for the print. Then you could use Photoshop. This is how these files work:

The Vector Clip Art Missing Manual: Glow 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an .ai file, in RGB, so all the usual caveats apply.

(Quite why the transparent block background is actual vector art, I have no idea, but easily selectable to delete.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact it was delivered in an EPS does not mean vector.. the smoke is very definitely raster based (edit: or raser effect e.g. mesh gradient) and can never be vector itself, but CAN be placed in a vector file. You also have to consider the printing process you intend to use, and what your substrate is. e.g. if you want to print a red cloud on a black t-shirt, you must use opaque red ink or print a white underlayer. But let's ignore this for the moment.

Monika's link shows you why these files are they way they are, but if you simply want the smoke to be red with a transparent background, you can easily do this in Photoshop.

Place a black layer behind the cloud in your Illustrator, then open (render) this file in Photoshop as a Grayscale image. You can now use this image as a mask in another PS document with a layer coloured Red.  like so:

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 12.43.21 AM.png

Save this file as a .PSD file and then Place into your Illustrator file with your other elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the item is vector and you want to keep it vector, copy the outer shape of the smoke cloud to your clipboard, and use that as a mask.

That type of art though I doubt is vector. While you can use gradient mesh with opacity file to make something like that, ultimately it gets bitmapped to the raster effects settings resolution.

If you want further help would be good to explain your file construction, Even if you post a screenshot in outline view we can beter understand what you are asking us to advise upon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>That type of art though I doubt is vector.

It's vector, I downloaded it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it's a vector gradient mesh, it might be easier to handle by rendering it into PS. Otherwise, one would need to find all the applied color points (which, based on what it appears are probably just different levels of grey) and recolor to levels of red. Even so, you will still have an object that has the Screen transparency effect applied which means it requires the Black to properly work. You can't assign No Fill to a mesh point as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Background must bring colors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines