• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off copy and paste maintains group

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I copy an element in one my illustrator doc and paste it into the same doc it automatically groups it with the copied object. Then I have to ungroup it if I want to move it around independently. Its really annoying. I cant find anything in preferences to turn off this automatic grouping. Any ideas? Its a fairly recent feature. 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

You said you copy one element only? What do you mean with it is grouped with the copied element. Can you do a screen capture or screenshot of how it looks?

If it is a grouped object, did you try to select the one element it with the Group Selection tool and then paste it? This should paste it without grouping. The tool can be found with the Direct Selection Tool (press the icon longer to see the tool)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-09 um 09.20.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Do you exit the isolation before pasting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

As Ton mentions, if you copy while inside Isolation Mode and paste the copied oject will still be part of the group. That’s why I suggested the Group Selection Tool to select the object you want before copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said you copy one element only? What do you mean with it is grouped with the copied element. Can you do a screen capture or screenshot of how it looks?

If it is a grouped object, did you try to select the one element it with the Group Selection tool and then paste it? This should paste it without grouping. The tool can be found with the Direct Selection Tool (press the icon longer to see the tool)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-09 um 09.20.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example. I have an icon thats made up of a few separate lines. They are grouped.Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.28.34 am.pngI want to copy one of these lines so I isolate and select that line and copy it.

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.28.43 am.png 

Now I paste it elsewhere on my artboard. By default it has stayed groupoed with the orginal group. So I have to go in and ungroup it if I want to move it around. This is annoying as I'm trying to create something new from this element. Its a process I use all the time and I dont want the auto grouping. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 7.28.57 am.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you exit the isolation before pasting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I didnt know that was needed. I see now that works if I exit isolatioon first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that your problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ton mentions, if you copy while inside Isolation Mode and paste the copied oject will still be part of the group. That’s why I suggested the Group Selection Tool to select the object you want before copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rene your direct selection tool also works. I didnt even know that was a tool! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only located in the same spot as the Direct Selection Tool in the toolbar. It is called the Group Selection Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines