Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning a photo into a vector image with multiple shapes

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Bear with me, as I'm a very novice Illustrator user. I have a photo (seen below) that I am needing to turn into a vector graphic, allowing me to manipulate each shape by switching out the fabric in each one. I'm familiar with how to go about placing images into the shapes using clipping masks once I have the shapes created, but I'm just not sure how to go about turning each of these into the vector shape in order to do so. Does this make sense? Any input would be awesome! Thanks!!

winter.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

ok, back on. here's what I did earlier:

draw a circle with the ellipse tool (L). hold shift to constrain it. go to Effect > distort & Transform > Zig Zag and use these settings. you might need a different Size depending on the scale you're working though:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.44.13.jpg

make sure smart guides are on (View > Smart Guides). draw a line from the centre of the circle to the outside, overlapping the circle's wavy path. doesn't need to be accurate since we'll get rid of it later. select it and the Rotate tool (R). def

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Image Trace? Depending on the resolution of the original raster image that may be a good place to start.

How to edit artwork in Illustrator using Image Trace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try that...the problem I run into there is it traces each and every shape, including the little snowflakes and shapes with each pattern. I only there to be 17 shapes created...the center circle and each of the 16 main "fan outs" ...if that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if that's all you need it'd be far simpler to just draw it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to do that...but like I said, I'm a complete novice. I don't know how to manipulate shapes well enough to draw it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's one i knocked up quickly. i'll post detailed instructions when i get a chance if you want them.

pattern.ai - Google Drive

pattern.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh...I have so much to learn. HA.  That is wonderful.. THANK YOU!!  I would LOVE a tutorial on that whenever you get time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is there a way to use the middle circle as a shape as well? In order to place an image in it using a clipping mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responding to:

Also, is there a way to use the middle circle as a shape as well? In order to place an image in it using a clipping mask?

Yes, there is.

1. Place an image where you want it to go.
  2. Make sure your clipping mask shape is on top of the image in the layers panel
  3. Select both the image and the shape that you want to use as the clipping mask
  4. Go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Emily,

Since you say you are a complete novice, here are some cool short tutorials that I have my students use. They are very helpful while you are learning Illustrator.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/tutorials.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I'm familiar with using the clipping mask to place images into shapes. In the example above though that Dough so graciously drew for me, each of the outer "fans" as I call them, for lack of better term, are paths, but the middle circle is not since the fans combined together make up the circle. So, as far as I'm aware, it isn't possible to select the circle as a shape in order to make a clipping mask out of it. Again, I'm probably missing something though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Doug's example.

Select the Shape Builder Tool (Shift M)

Drag over the Center.

That should make it a separate shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, back on. here's what I did earlier:

draw a circle with the ellipse tool (L). hold shift to constrain it. go to Effect > distort & Transform > Zig Zag and use these settings. you might need a different Size depending on the scale you're working though:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.44.13.jpg

make sure smart guides are on (View > Smart Guides). draw a line from the centre of the circle to the outside, overlapping the circle's wavy path. doesn't need to be accurate since we'll get rid of it later. select it and the Rotate tool (R). define the rotation point at the centre of the circle (alt + click on the centre). set up this rotation in the dialogue box that appears and click Copy:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.45.08.jpg

hit ctrl + D (Transform Again) to repeat the rotate & copy until you have lines going all the way round the circle:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.45.29.jpg

select the circle again. copy it (ctrl + C) and Paste in front (ctrl + F). scale it -- with the scale tool or bounding box -- constrained and from the centre by holding shift + alt as you drag. position it where you need to.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.46.45.jpg

select both circles and go to Object > Expand Appearance. this makes the wavy lines 'real' vectors as opposed to effects.

select everything and in the Pathfinder panel, click Divide:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.47.15.jpg

this produces closed paths based on every intersection. select the paths within the inner circle you don't need and delete them. ungroup the paths and every outer section will be an individual path:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 21.48.05.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm so sorry for the late reply to this, but thank you SO MUCH for the detailed step-by-step. This was very, very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines