• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning off Save to Cloud as default

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never want to have my machine save to the cloud. I have small-town sucky internet and saving to the cloud makes that significantly worse. 

But I don't see a way to get it to default to not saving to the web. I mean there is a button to not ever be asked again but the last time I tried that on an Adobe product it took that to mean that it should ignore the fact that I asked for it to be save locally that time (and every other time) and in addition to never asking again it should just save it to the cloud. 

I see a way to set this in Photoshop, but do not in Illustrator. I'd really like to not be constantly have Adobe apps trying to get me to save to the Cloud.

Note - Adobe also seems to reset to defaulting to the cloud everytime I update my programs.
Update to Photoshop - You must have also wanted to start saving to the web. WTF Adobe?
What is with that? Trust that if your customers don't want to use that feature they might have a reason. The last time it did that I was trying to save a 5gb temporary file that I was going to be flattening shortly, I forgot I had recently updated and I clicked just a bit too fast and Adobe saved to the Cloud. The whole mess destroyed my internet connection for a few days because once Adobe started it seemed to get stuck even after the process was cancelled and the file deleted. It didn't just mess up my internet either it also dragged it down for my entire househould. I'd really appreciate it if Adobe stopped changing peoples settings on updates.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

I have seen this appear and after I click "Don't show again" and click Save on your computer, that becomes the default.

But Anubhav answer seems better.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.37.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Digital-Mirrors,

Thanks for reaching. I would request you to change the default file location from File Handling under Illustrator's preferences and check if it helps.

AnubhavMajumder_0-1658165922804.png

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only setting under File Handling that I see for this changes how often
it saves to the web. I did unclick this. But it still tries to get me to
save all new documents to the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anubhav, but that is not how my Illustrator Prefrences look. I don't have the same option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably an older version. The most recent one is 26.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that would be incorrect, I do have the newest version 26.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I sure wish Adobe would get it's act together on this.

It's offensive and insulting that Adobe would just go ahead and reset people's personals settings to what Adobe prefers. My rural internet is horrid and this setting has cost me time and locked up my internet on more than one occassion over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 27.0 and I don't have this damn option in preferences, instead of working trying to turn off this damn thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Preferences > File Handling > Default file location option now in 27.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Digital-Mirrors,

Thanks for confirming that. I would suggest you try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your solution is I should completely wipe out my settings each time I have to update Adobe projects?
Here's a better solution -
ADOBE SHOULD STOP CHANGING THEIR CUSTOMERS PERSONAL SETTING ON EVERY UPDATE. 
It really is very insulting that Adobe does this. There are a lot of reasons why people choose the settings they do, stop trying to force YOUR company choice on people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say that that I agree with you completely. It's frustrating and tends to confirm my suspicions that the "experts" here can't just say what appears to be the case:

That, in considering: Adobe's Terms and Conditions; it's Privacy Policy; not providing customers with the ability to choose which data and creative work is synced with Adobe Cloud Services and; despite repeated inquiries from customers regarding turning off syncing/Cloud Services, not providing a reasonable, alternative explanation as to why syncing data and creative work cannot be turned off, when taken as a whole, in my opinion it appears that:

Adobe, through providing paid tools and services, collects and assumes ownership of customer's creative work through forced use of it's cloud services. This mass transfer of property rights is not explicitly explained prior to customers paying for Adobe's products and services. Therefore, it appears that a primary goal of the marketing and provision of Adobe products and services, is the mass transfer of creative property from it's customers to Adobe.

Essentially, by using Adobe tools and services, customers agree to transfer ownership of their creative data/output/work to Adobe. Subsequently, Adobe can then USE that transferred property for any purpose that Adobe see's fit.

Therefore, I'd encourage Adobe customers to consider whether it's important to them for their creative work to remain exclusively their own.

If any "experts" have a different opinion or explanation, the floor is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely can't save most things to cloud. My organization is an instrument of an indigenous government system, and we have to keep some of their file information, graphics, and text within their system of control and off of cloud servers COMPLETELY.

Adobe Systems asks me to violate article 31 (1) of UNDRIP, and my own ethics vis-a-vis my relationship with my employers, each and every time it asks me if I want to save to the cloud!

I hope I never accidentally make that mistake on that button. I just want to turn the option off completely and forever; or at the very least, set the default to local save permanently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, mine never asks me to save to the cloud (and I never do).

So you're saying that once you choose to save to your computer, the next time you do a save it still tries to save to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, I haven't had this trouble on the last couple updates, but basically at the time of writing the original post in this tread it would default to saving to the web. I was able to change this on some programs but would find it always resetted to saving to the web when I updated the program.

I also had prior experiences where I set a file to save locally and then checked the a box to have it never ask me again, only to have it set the default to never ask me and always default to saving to web. I have trust issues with Adobe and avoided using that checkmark afterwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

27.0.1 has the preference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very frustrated (for similar reasons as others) but should have specified in the above comment that I am using Photoshop for iPad which doesn't give you the option to not save to Adobe cloud. Therefore, I can't use PS for iPad.

In Lightroom for iPad, there's an option to "pause" syncing to the cloud. It looks like the "pause" sync setting is saved when you close and reopen the app. So, as long as I don't change that setting, it looks as though I can prevent my work from automatically being uploaded/synced to the cloud.

Not sure why Adobe can do this with Lightroom for iPad but not for Photoshop for iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have to say it wouldn't shock me if Adobe was feeding customers work into some AI monstrosity. 

There is a reason Adobe had to pay $20 billion to kill off Figma. People are sick of a lot of their policies and are hungry for real options. Adobe does make some very cool products so they could just treat their customers better and then they wouldn't have to worry about the next Figma. But I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The modal box for me looks like this - and I cannot expand it.

Adobe, please can you explain this? I've restarted Illustrator and restarted my computer, but nothing changes.

I'm on a work computer with an internal server system where we put all files, I cannot have things only saved to the cloud and have no way of saving them elsewhere.

A solution would be appreciated. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous! Adobe removed [default file location: X] in File Handling tab on version 27.1. Is Adobe really trying so hard to force users to subscibe to your cloud base feature? Please advise how to set save file to local drive by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 27.1 is still in Beta. Please put your feedback into the Beta forums. In version 27.0.1 the option is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's was a typo error and yes, I was referring to 27.0.1, the option disappeared after I updated to this version. You can see from my attachment 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Illustrator have full disk access?

Does it help when you reset the preferences (this will erase all your settings, so you might want to rename the preferences folder, because that can be undone)

If none of that helps, please contact Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Zeek", are you sure you're on 27.0.1? I am, and I have that option...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines