• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type on path changing text position issue (circle)

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Type on path is currently having an issue with me, when I write a text on a circle and then want to move it left, right, inner, outer or resizing the circle, I can't properly control it and the text is moving around not as expected compared with illustrator 25 which was working perfectly. Does anyone else got that problem?

Illustrator 26, macOS Monterey

TOPICS
Bug , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am unable to replicate this issue on a macOS Monterey v12.1 & Illustrator v26.0.2. I would request you to share a few more details like:

• Is this happening in a specific file or all?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.
  • A small video (including the Layer panel) demonstrating the issue would be really helpful for us.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Thanks for your reply, here is 2 videos (I didn't include layer panel as there is only 1 layer)

• Not happening to all files, seems pretty random to me.

• Not related to a particular font (the problem still happen when changing the font)

• Not related to files created on older or newer illustrator version (can happen or not happen to any of them).

• No system changes (happens since illustrator 26 on my previous Intel Mac and problem still going on my new M1 Pro Mac, purchased after my post).

• Didn't try to reset the preferences (I prefer not having to do it as there were no issue before with the same settings).

• In the Video2 you can see while doing the cmd+z the text is not returning to its initial position, but in the Video1 it does...

Thanks & Best Regards,

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. I would request you to please share a sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM. We'll check it at our end.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer,

Here are the links:

File 1  File 2 

Let me know if you need the fonts as well (the problem should remain with any fonts though).

Best Regards,

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the files, @8AMSTUDIO. I replicated the issue in v25.4.3 & v26.0.2 on my Intel Mac machine & one of my colleagues' Windows 11 device. On v24.3.2 issue was not reproducible. I have forwarded the files to the product team. Once I get a response from them, I will get back to you. Please be patient & stay tuned.

Note: It may take a week or two to get a reply from them.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your time Anshul! Hopefully the product team will find the issue 🤞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to replicate the issue. On the other hand, I'm not using an M1 Mac so it may be specific to that. I know that you prefer not to reset preferences, but  that is what I would recommend trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Barbara, but as I mentionned earlier the issue happened right after updating to v26, still on my Intel Mac at that time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's your circles. They aren't drawn properly. e.g. If you direct-select on one of the anchor points and drag it out, you will see you have two points on top of each other that are joined with a straight segment. It's causing your type to follow a path that's wrapping around itself at the control points, almost like it's doing a sudden 90° turn. Redraw your circles and you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

Indeed you're right for the design "La Cuisine...", but not for the other one and the problem still happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, I see it now. I was actually addressing the issue in your first screen grab where the path type was going haywire. The issue with your two supplied files is something different, and yes, I can confirm it happens with v26 (and also v25. but NOT v24), and only if you scale by grabbing the bounding box handle of the group. Enlarging anyother way works fine. Hmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps related to this bug that was in v25 that was supposedly fixed?

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43187394-bug-te...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Brad already adumbrated, the issue occurs if you are scaling with the bounding box (using the Selection tool or the Free Transform tool). It does not occur if you are using the Scale tool or the Scale dialog.

Obviously, it is kind of a tricky bug. For example, if you scale it with the bounding box and then do an Undo command, the Undo command is being ignored. My guess is that it is one of those "unexpected event" bugs that can only be unravelled if you have a detailed knowledge of the underlying program code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned a new word today! ("adumbrated"). Thanks Kurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @8AMSTUDIO,

This issue has been resolved with Illustrator v26.1.
The file you shared with the name La Bodega is now working perfectly. However, the second file name Manoune can't be fixed as it is happening due to the way the path is created (A rounded rectangle disguised as Circle), which causes the issue while editing it. I hope it clarifies the issue.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Anshul, 26.1 is not showing on my Creative Cloud yet, will let you when I'll install it.

Best Regards,

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Just managed to update the creative cloud apps (by deleting "AdobeUpdateAdmnPrefs.dat") and indeed no more issue with La Bodega!

About Manoune still got the issue as I fully rounded a square probably, will avoid doing it in the future if I want to write on a path.

Thanks again for your time and support.

Best Regards,

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for confirming that, Romain. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines