Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type on path tool bug

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The type on path tool is bugging out.
It randomly scatters all the letters all over and even outside the work area.
Closing and opening the file sometimes displays the tekst correctly again but soon it descends into utter mayhem all over.

As you can see in the example.
The 'correct' one exploded as well when I made the screenshot.
The other attached image displays it correctly.

My Illustrator is up to date and running on a 2022 macbook pro 16".

Also, my computer just crashed and restarted but I'm not sure if it's related.

The bug is still there however.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is happening step by step? You draw a line and then you use the Type on path tool and click on the line and then?

The crash might have ruined your preferences. So you might want to reboot the computer and rest the preferences (which will erase all your settings)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I designed them more than a week ago and everything was fine.

So just the usual, make a circle > type on path > switch on to the inside by pulling the middle: _|_ thing.

All was fine until I opened illustrator today and it just started happening out of nowhere.

I'll go ahead and try that although I highly doubt that was the cause.

Pretty sure this is the same bug someone here posted about in december 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did a complet reinstal of Illustrator and it's still doing it.

Very frustrating since I really need this to work to finish my project.

I'd report a bug but it's making me sign up to this other thing.

Why can't I just submit bugs with my Adobe account, this makes no sense to me.

If anyone has an answer please let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The engineers decided to use that other platform and unfortunately that is that.

I can post a bug report there with a link to this thread, but it probably will not help a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks anyway! Appreciate it.

I remade the thing from scratch and it seems stable now so fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a corrupt file. These things happen. Please update this thread if it happens again. You might need to have Customer Care take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can report that the exact same bug popped up here in a document containing multiple paths with type on them. So that seems to be a common ground.

Everything worked as it should until reopening the file, then the text is scattered all over the place.

Windows 11 here, Illustrator also fully up to date.

Interestingly if you try to rectify the scattered texts by clicking on the path with the type to path tool it will indicate the text was created in a different version of Illustrator (which is not the case). If you then re-save and re-open the texts are scattered again.

This is a very annoying bug and almost impossible to work with. As fixing it will only have you see it scattered again next time you open it.

So by all means have Customer Care take a look and hopefully this bug can get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an update from this side:

I've reported the bug (which seems to be caused by placing texts on multiple circular paths) on the Illustrator Uservoice site and was informed there that the latest beta should address this bug. So I installed the beta version and tested (mind you, you still need to fix the scattered texts by clicking on the path with text to path tool) but now the changes seem to stick.

Will do some additional testing but by the looks of it this annoying bug should be fixed in the next version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue... any updates on when this will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Idk if the issues was fixed already but I figured out copy pasting the path works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend making it work, and then converting the text into an outline THEN saving. It won't bug out that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has happened to me across multiple projects. Scatters the letters all over the page and they are seemingly uneditable. Was there ever a resolution here on a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @zbabyk,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with the Type on Path tool in Adobe Illustrator. This seems to be a persistent problem reported by several users.

To better assist you, could you please share the file where you are encountering this problem? Additionally, it would be helpful to know in which version of Illustrator the file was created and if the issue persists in new files as well.

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to assisting you further.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem. My work-a-round is to lock all layers except the layer with the text. Then "select all" to select text. By clicking on the font size menu, the text reappeared. Then I converted the text to outliines. I am using Illustrator on three computers. This computer at work is running version is 27.9. The computer the at home is running an older version from creative cloud. I hope this is helpful. I included an early verision with text disappearing and a version with text outlined.

Sharyl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:c83119ba-94f8-4218-a8d4-9e8f1c729dd0?view=published 

Type on a path using work around:

1. Locking all layers but one.

2. Using keystroke "control a" to selecting type on a path

3. Using cursor to select font size but not changing anything. The type reapperars!

4. Convert type to object.

https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:c83119ba-94f8-4218-a8d4-9e8f1c729dd0?view=published

Type on a path without work around

I used 3 computers with different versions of Illustrator in creative cloud.

Best,

Sharyl  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am STILL having this probelm, its so annoying. I have tried everything reccomended within the posts related and still isnt fixed. If anyone has anything else I can try i'm all ears.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tay246959419gxh,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with the Type on Path tool in Adobe Illustrator. To better assist you, would you mind sharing more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, a sample file (https://adobe.ly/48I57f6), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/48EvNxc), so we can investigate this further? Additionally, it would be helpful to know in which version of Illustrator the file was created and if the issue persists in new files as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Last week, I was able to restart and it went away. Today, not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jessicah64115622,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind updating the OS (macOS / Windows) and the Illustrator app to the latest version and checking if it helps? Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and sharing your observations.

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://adobe.ly/3SEvV9B), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3uqwQTb), so we can investigate this further.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Writing out of an enormous sense of frustration with this issue and looking for a solution urgently as it is impacting my workflow on a priority job.

I'm using the latest version of Illustrator, the latest version on Mac OS, and running a MacBook M1 Pro with ample power.

I'm routinely losing my text on a path as per the screenshots and attachment below, with four circular paths being utilised for a series of labels I'm working on. Sometimes this occurs while the document is open (typically after saving), but usually occurs when closing and reopening the docoument, I'll find three of the four circular paths on each artboard blown out with letters scattered at a great distances around the workspace. While I can recover the text to the path by selecting the appropriate layer and then reselect the path (with the type tool) - I have dozens of these errors occurring across multiple locked layers and I simply can't keep doing this.

It's driving me nuts, please help me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've replicated this with a range of stock standard fonts as well as the one i'm using in the images above so I don't believe it is an issue with the font 'Rohyt'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Daniel25971572n7g1,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with the Type on Path tool in Adobe Illustrator. To better assist you, would you mind sharing some more details, like the version of Illustrator where this file was originally created, whether this problem persists with new files as well, and if there are any reproducible steps?

Additionally, kindly share the Cloud Document again (https://adobe.ly/3PKuSUS) with Link Settings for Public and Save a Copy enabled so that we can check this with the team.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Anubhav,

Thank you for your help, I'm happy to provide additional assistance and information to help you troubleshoot what might be happening here. I'm currently using Illustrator version 28.4.1, and created this file in a previous version in the 2024 release i.e., 28.x.x. I've attempted to create a brand new file with only circular type on a path elements included to isolate the bug down to this feature. It would seem that once I have more than one circular path with text in the file that the issue emerges. I'd note that in my linked example, containing four seperate layers with paths, when they 'scatter' it always leaves one of the paths intact as originally pictured above. So where I have four seperate paths, it will scatter or explode three of them.

My steps are as follow:

1. Use the ellipse tool to create a 67 x 67mm circle

2. Use the type on a path tool to add desired text (I've used standard adobe fonts also)

3. Repeat this process three more times, one additional at 67mm, and two at 52mm

4. Save file

5. Close file

6. Reopen to find scattered type.

My troubleshooting file is below.

https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:7ce928c9-f5a2-4d5f-8184-de890c1ed6bd?view=difile

Any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines