• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to do proportional scaling with Shift key + drag in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been searching for over an hour trying to figure out how to do something I've been doing for over 20 years in Illustrator. Scale an object proportionally by shift dragging an anchor point.  

Adobe must think nobody want to do this anymore so they removed this functionality.  I cannot find a solution anywhere.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Did you already try to restart your machine?

Reset Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. It generally happens due to the conflict in keyboard shortcuts used in other applications. Try booting the system in Safe Mode (https://adobe.ly/2zxPxHU) and check how it works there.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Show Bounding Box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not a single one of those links solve anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shows. So what?  

What are the secret key commands to do this legacy function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell your engineers to put this functionality back into Ilustrator. 

Nobody wants to have to enter in a percentage of 1% and then hit command D five hundred times to scale something proprotionally.  What were you guys thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of what you want to do.

I'm using the bounding box for scaling all the time. Nobody took that functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work better now after restarting Illustrator. Before restarting, it wouldn't scale at all. Now it will scale, but the shift key does not "lock" the scaling to be proportional as before.  You have to use some mouse skill to scale accurately along the diagonal, otherwise it will scale anamorphically.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try to restart your machine?

Reset Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not restarted my machine today, but I have had this problem for the past month and have restarted my machine several times over that period ot time.

I just reset preferences and I can now scale an image, but not proportionally with the shift key down unless my cursor movement is in perfect alignment with the diagonal of the image.

Before, it woud not scale at all, and now it scales as if the shift key were not even down.

So, esssentially, proportional scaling by dragging with the shift key down. is no longer a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. It generally happens due to the conflict in keyboard shortcuts used in other applications. Try booting the system in Safe Mode (https://adobe.ly/2zxPxHU) and check how it works there.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe wants you to go away and leave them alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines