• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit effects in Illustrator

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue before and knows how to fix it?

I'm currently working in Adobe Illustrator 2021 (version 25.4.8), and I can't seem to edit any effects I add to objects?
The effects will show up in the appearance panel, but I am unable to click on it and edit it. 

I've attached an image showing an example of what I mean. I've been trying to apple a grain effect to this shape layer. It lists the effect in the appearance panel, but again I can't edit it. Is there a setting I have turned on/off, or maybe I've applied the effect incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Hello Laura5EB3,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you try resetting Illustrator's preferences manually and see if that helps resolve the issue:

For macOS
• Close all Adobe applications.
• Go to the following locations
• ~/Library/Caches
• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
• ~/Library/Preferences
• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings.old
• La

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 11.53.14 AM.png
And I forgot to attach the image haha. Anyways, here is the screenshot showing the grain effect is applied, but I cannot see it on the shape nor can I click on "Grain" and edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Laura5EB3,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you try resetting Illustrator's preferences manually and see if that helps resolve the issue:

For macOS
• Close all Adobe applications.
• Go to the following locations
• ~/Library/Caches
• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
• ~/Library/Preferences
• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings.old
• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

For Windows
- Close all Adobe applications.
- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 25 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 25 Settings.old
- Relaunch Illustrator

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav,
Thanks for this!
Resetting the preferences seems to have solved the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Laura5EB3,

Glad to hear that the problem was resolved. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you edit them when you create the effect? Do you have multiple monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not able to edit the when I create the effect.
I have two monitors, but I'm not seeing an effects panel pop up on either one. I've tried resetting the workspace layout and changing to a different layout, still nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You attached image is not showing the the forum. Go to the forum in your browser, and add the image with the Insert Photo icon. insert image forum.png

--- edit: you added the image while I was making this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines