Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to move single object - new to Illustrator

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys

I am new to Illustrator. When importing or opening an "SVG" file, I see all the layers to my right, just like in photoshop, which is good.

However, when I click on an object within the viewer, it selects EVERYTHING and moves it all, no matter which layer I have selected!

Can I have somebody help me out, please? 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

It's possible that the objects are grouped. If so, you can select objects within a group with the Group Selection tool, or you could ungroup the objects.

Or in the Layers panel you could click the target, circle on the right side of the layer, which will select only the objects on that layer.

Of course, you could also ungroup the objects.

I can't be certain that grouping is the issue without a screen capture of the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

If you want to edit something that is part of a group, either use the group selection tool as Barbara already said, or ungroup the group. Or go into isolation mode. Illustrator layer panel has nothing to do with Photoshop layer panel.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-objects.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/grouping-expanding-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that the objects are grouped. If so, you can select objects within a group with the Group Selection tool, or you could ungroup the objects.

Or in the Layers panel you could click the target, circle on the right side of the layer, which will select only the objects on that layer.

Of course, you could also ungroup the objects.

I can't be certain that grouping is the issue without a screen capture of the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Yes, I think you are right; when I click on the target layer to my right, I can move it. 

Is there a way to have illustrator auto-select a layer on which the mouse is clicking on from the main view? like in photoshop, without having to select the layer which you want to have moved?

As soon as I click anywhere else in the viewer, then everything gets moved again automatically 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starmat_0-1667540475079.png

It all behaves as if it were a group, you know you click on an item and everything within it get's selected, because if I have NOTHING selected, and then click anywhere in my viewer, EVERYTHING gets selected in the layers, unless I manually click on a layer in the layer window. I hope this makes sense lol

example, i can't even click on a point to move it without the entire image being moved, no matter what selection tool i have selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do need to mention, the import was/is an SVG file with layers and text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to edit something that is part of a group, either use the group selection tool as Barbara already said, or ungroup the group. Or go into isolation mode. Illustrator layer panel has nothing to do with Photoshop layer panel.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-objects.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/grouping-expanding-objects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines