• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to overwrite PDF in Illustrator 24.0.2 on macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This very frustrating along with many other issues with the new update for Catalina.... Now I cannot overwrite a pdf. The pdf opens showing the older version after resaving. I am using the latest 24.0.2 version of Illustrator. I have tried uninstalling, restarting, etc. Nothing is working. Please fix!

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

This is just a guess, but your issue may be due to new security default settings in Catalina.

https://www.howtogeek.com/443611/how-macos-catalinas-new-security-features-work

Edit, copy and paste the link into your browser.

From the link- Head to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy and click on the “Files and Folders” option to see any apps that have requested access. You can also grant access to your whole disk by clicking “Full Disk Access.” 

I believe there was a similar issue

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Hi all,

The fix for this issue has been released in the latest update of Illustrator for mac which is 24.0.3. Please refer to this post for more information: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/new-update-for-illustrator-24-0-3-mac-only/td-p/10870085

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. Is this happening with a specific file or with multiple files?
  2. Where is the file saved, locally or on any network or shared drive?
  3. If it is happening on multiple files, you can also try resetting the preferences for Illustrator by following the steps below:
  • Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to multiple files saved locally and on dropbox. I just tried your suggestion and it still doesn't overwrite... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying, could you please try turning off the background save option in preferences and then try again and see if that helps. To turn off the background save, please navigate to Preferences > File Handling & CLipboard > Please uncheck Save in Background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a guess, but your issue may be due to new security default settings in Catalina.

https://www.howtogeek.com/443611/how-macos-catalinas-new-security-features-work

Edit, copy and paste the link into your browser.

From the link- Head to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy and click on the “Files and Folders” option to see any apps that have requested access. You can also grant access to your whole disk by clicking “Full Disk Access.” 

I believe there was a similar issue with InDesign, you could search that forum for an answer, if this doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.. your link isn't working for me. I did follow the steps in the System Preferences. All the apps are checked including the problematic Illustrator and Full Disk Access. Thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to copy the link and paste it into your browser, although it probably won't help your issue.

The problem with InDesign was fixed with an InDesign update. You might want to report it as a bug (under the Help menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misread that! Sorry... that seemed to work!! THANKS SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this fix your problem, or you got the link to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed the problem 🙂 Didn't realize I had to uncheck the box. Thanks again Luke!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, happy to help. please mark my answer correct, so others may benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well unfortunately this did not actually work... it only did when saving over a pdf that is located on my desktop. Still having the same issue when trying to overwrite files saved over a network or Dropbox. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. I still think this may be a bug, it couldn't hurt to report it, although I would think other people would have reported it by now. When this was happening in InDesign 2020, I would re-name the existing file before re-exporting, as a work-around. Does the issue occur with new files, created and saved to your network after making the system preference changes? I'm not using Catalina, so I can't look into the security settings, but you might check if there is a similar setting for internet/browser that needs to be changed.

You could possibly revert to an older OS, particularly if you are using Time Machine, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I am having the same problem, OS High Sierra. 
Every attempt to overwrite any existing file doesn't work. I select the file in the "save by name" menu, the system display the classic alert. I click on "overwrite", than it does something but the file has not changed.
Further example. I created an action for Ai 2017 an used it through all versions until update 24.0.2. This action saves a pdf named oook.pdf into the standard download folder, than close the window. If there is another oook.pdf file in the folder, the action does something but the file has not overwritten, and steps to the "close" action. So basically I worked on the file for nothing. 
Furhtermore, all my colleagues in the office are experiencing the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why the comment at the top of the thread is marked as "Correct Answer." The issue with PDFs failing to overwrite previous versions is a known Illustrator bug with 24.0.2. Adobe is working on a fix and will release it in a few days. See https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39418213-overwriting-pd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem on multiple computers, both with catalina and mojave, does not overwrite the file, does not update even the modification time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

definitely not solved, the bug is also in Mojave and the proposed solution does not work even in Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about this issue. We are able to replicate this issue at our end and our Product team is looking into it.
Till the time it is fixed, you may continue using 24.0.1 or simply use Save function instead of Save As.

I would also request if you can upvote this issue here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39418213-overwriting-pd...
This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I noticed yesterday that when I updated my Illustrator to 24.02, I could not overwrite an existing pdf. And today I cannot save over an existing ai file. One fix that has worked for me is to not use Save As and to use Command S instead. For years I have used Save As because of a problem years ago, and I haven't thought of it since. When I Save As, the program asks if I want to replace and I click replace, but the file does not save. I am now using command S for Save instead. I hope this helps anyone who is as clueless as I am when something like this suddenly happens and forces me to stress eat chocolate until the light at the end of the tunnel shows up. Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NOT updated to Catalina yet.... but I am also having the same problems in ILL 24.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

The fix for this issue has been released in the latest update of Illustrator for mac which is 24.0.3. Please refer to this post for more information: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/new-update-for-illustrator-24-0-3-mac-only/td-p/10870085

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines