Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from Illustrator 2022 (26.0) on macOS Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Info:
MacBook Pro
macOS Monterey v 12.01 (New Update just yesterday)
2022 Adobe Illustrator 26.0.0 (New Update just yesterday)

Critical Issues I am experiencing:
-New Files created, will not save, save as, or export to my computer desktop or any location on my computer. It will as to the cloud but I do not what I need it saved on the cloud, I need it on my computer. File Type Ai or PDF
-Old Files can be changed and saved in place. BUT will NOT, save the same file in a new location, "save as" a new version name (i.e. "filename" version 2 .ai) , save as a PDF or export art to any form of raster files.
-Closing files without saving, prompts me to save files before closing and when I do click save, it will NOT save and will not close the file. No response from Illustrator
-Does not prompt me to choose a saving location on my computer.
-No error messages or pop-ups are given
-No Crashing occurs, nothing happens
-Files are art files, no text

Things I have done to try and fix the issue myself:

-Restart Computer
-Creative Cloud logged in
-Launched Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.
-Launched Illustrator by clicking twice on the old file (can't do this with new files because I can't create and save any new files onto my computer.)
-Open old files through the cloud
-Created new files in every way IMAGABLE.

-Save it to the Adobe cloud and shut down. Restart open the file, try and save it to the computer, it will not save.
-Force-quitting does not appear to generate a saved-data file
-Granted adobe / Illustrator full disk access
-Disabled "Optimize File open and save time on slow networks" in preferences
-Disabled "Save in background" in the Preferences
-Reset preferences removing all the custom settings
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator with perfrances deleted

You don't need to be told what a nightmare this is when you make your living using Adobe.
Please advise ASAP or I will be forced to remove the update (somehow, I HAVE TO WORK!!) or
My last-ditch effort to fix this myself is to remove the new macOS Monterey v 12.01

Please advise ASAP. 
TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue. I would request if you could post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here.

This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to origina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

no window came. Nothing happened. I could only save to the cloud. I have now updated Mac OS to 12.1 and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

I did the update and it looks like the problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 107 Replies 107
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check if Illustrator has privileges to save to your disk?

Even if you set this before, you might need to set it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in my post I have in fact Granted adobe / Illustrator full disk access, this did not help fix anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where are you trying to save files? On your internal harddisk? Into a synchronized folder?

Is there text in your files?

Do you use a font manager?

Any other third party plugins?

Between uninstalling and reinstalling - did you use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool?

Do you have a printer connected?

Which options do you use when saving your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my full post before asking these questions, this is not beeing helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that the worst? Answering innocuously? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I cannot save or export to my computer from Illustrator, only to cloud. The system save dialogue box does not appear when selected.

If I am on a single monitor I can get the system save dialogue box to appear, but it has no contents. I have taken similar steps as OP to no avail.  

Zipvroom_0-1635725329752.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have resolved the issue. I'll outline exactly what I did, but I don't know which step actually fixed it since I can no longer reproduce the problem with the system save dialogue box not appearing. 

1. Illustrator open, try to "save as" a new file, system save dialogue box does not appear, leave it in that state
  2. Go to System Preferences > Security Privacy > Files and Folders
  3. Toggle "Desktop Folder" OFF, click "Quit and Reopen" (in my case illustrator did not quit and reopen probably because the invisible dialogue box was open)
  4. Toggle "Desktop Folder" back ON, click "Quit and Reopen" (same thing as above)
  5. I went back to Illustrator, escaped out of the invisible dialogue box and tried "save as" again and it worked

Zipvroom_0-1635725897390.png

Zipvroom_1-1635726091056.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note - I "force quit" Illustrator between step 4 and 5 above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! You absolutly saved my ass today!! Worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any tips if there is no 'Desktop Folder' option to toggle? Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 15.51.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few more hours of looking through forums I found that; unplugging the monitor connected to my laptop, going through the 'save as' process on my laptop, then migrating Illustrator over after the monitor was reconnected worked for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue. I would request if you could post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here.

This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help,  we would suggest disconnecting the external monitors.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this happen on a MacBook Pro with NO external monitors attached...with Illustrator 2022 on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had Adobe go remote on my Mac.  They went to my app support > adobe folder and changed the UXP to UXP.old and CEP to CEP.old and boom solved.  Whatever that does did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide any more details? The only application support folder i can find is attched to the app store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. The next procedure solved mine (thx to davismcelwee)

-1-

The folders UPX are in:

"User">Library>Application Support>Adobe>

AND in Macintosh HD>Library>Aplication Support>Adobe

Rename both folders to UPX.old

To rename these folders you'll have to login with your password.

-2-

The folders CEP are in:

Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support>Adobe>

AND in Apps>Adobe Bridge 2022>

Rename both folders to CEP.old

To rename those folders you'll have to login with your password.

It worked for me with PS 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, tried this and then set my primary display to my external monitor. No joy. Will continue to use my laptop screen as primary until this gets fixed. Annoying but workable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out it only worked briefly.  Once I went back to using an external monitor along with laptop open the problem came back.  No solution yet but to use only one monitor at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been 23 days, is there a fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see an issue with exporting or saving files on Mac OS Monterey.

So maybe you want to contact Customer Care that they can have a look inside your system to try and find the issue there. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me !!! 
Problem was the same for Apple Pages, Numbers and Keynote, as well Adobe softwares... 

My MPB screen was extended screen. I put back to Principal screen and everything went the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to 'save as...', it opens a pop-up suggesting to save it into the cloud, which I already find annoying. I gave a preference when launching AI 2022 for the first time that I prefer to save it locally. 

But when I get the pop-up to save to the cloud, there's a button in the bottom left saying 'On your computer'. When I click the button, the window just closes and nothing happens. 

I already tried restarteing AI and restarting my computer.

AI version: 26.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a prefs reset, if that doesn't work I'm afraid it's an uninstall, run the cleaner tool, and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines