Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from Illustrator 2022 (26.0) on macOS Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Info:
MacBook Pro
macOS Monterey v 12.01 (New Update just yesterday)
2022 Adobe Illustrator 26.0.0 (New Update just yesterday)

Critical Issues I am experiencing:
-New Files created, will not save, save as, or export to my computer desktop or any location on my computer. It will as to the cloud but I do not what I need it saved on the cloud, I need it on my computer. File Type Ai or PDF
-Old Files can be changed and saved in place. BUT will NOT, save the same file in a new location, "save as" a new version name (i.e. "filename" version 2 .ai) , save as a PDF or export art to any form of raster files.
-Closing files without saving, prompts me to save files before closing and when I do click save, it will NOT save and will not close the file. No response from Illustrator
-Does not prompt me to choose a saving location on my computer.
-No error messages or pop-ups are given
-No Crashing occurs, nothing happens
-Files are art files, no text

Things I have done to try and fix the issue myself:

-Restart Computer
-Creative Cloud logged in
-Launched Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.
-Launched Illustrator by clicking twice on the old file (can't do this with new files because I can't create and save any new files onto my computer.)
-Open old files through the cloud
-Created new files in every way IMAGABLE.

-Save it to the Adobe cloud and shut down. Restart open the file, try and save it to the computer, it will not save.
-Force-quitting does not appear to generate a saved-data file
-Granted adobe / Illustrator full disk access
-Disabled "Optimize File open and save time on slow networks" in preferences
-Disabled "Save in background" in the Preferences
-Reset preferences removing all the custom settings
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator with perfrances deleted

You don't need to be told what a nightmare this is when you make your living using Adobe.
Please advise ASAP or I will be forced to remove the update (somehow, I HAVE TO WORK!!) or
My last-ditch effort to fix this myself is to remove the new macOS Monterey v 12.01

Please advise ASAP. 
TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue. I would request if you could post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here.

This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to origina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

no window came. Nothing happened. I could only save to the cloud. I have now updated Mac OS to 12.1 and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

I did the update and it looks like the problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 107 Replies 107
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already try this and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Illustrator have sufficient privileges to write to your computer?

Can you save to the Cloud? Would it work if you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem since I updated to Monterey!  Have you solved the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy stuff! I have unplugged my second monitor and now everything is fine 😞

Any idea someone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got It!!! I just reset the SMC and everything is fine now. Sorry for the french.

https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/HT201295

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same! I updated to Monterey and Adobe 2022 at the same time. No matter what I tried it wasn't working for me, after reading your comment and unplugging my monitor it worked again. And the SMC reset helped.

Thanks a lot for sharing your own solution Bernard! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and I've tried:

Uninstalling/Re-Installing (26)

Granting Full Disck Access

Uninstalling/Installing Older Version (25.4.2)

All the different combinations of shutting down and restarting, AND I've restarted before and after each of these options and NOTHING WORKS!!!

What gives? 

I'm on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Running MacOS Monterey Version 12.0.1

I'm now back on version (26) and it's different. Now when I "Save As" the Creative Cloud dialog box shows up. I already chose to "Save to my Computer" but this box pops up every time anyways, and nudges me to save in the cloud. There is a button to "Save to my Computer" but it doesn't work. I'm so frustrated I want to pull my hair out. My job requires that I keep local files and this is not negotiable. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset the SMC? It works for me. Here the link. Sorry for the French.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that – with help from Apple Care – without any luck. Only saving in Indesign works. My dispair is growing rapidly …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disconnecting the external monitors did not help with my issue. I had no choice but to remove macOS Monterey. What a night mare that was over 16 hours of restoring to factory settings, Back to mac OS Big Sur  OS and then haveing to reintall the whole creative cloud, so on and so on! I'm disappointed that I pay a high fee every month for Adobe and get zoreo help on a massive critical error on Adobes part. Down right wasteful of my work time, and paycheck.  Do better with support! Don't release updates if they are not ready for use. Disappointed in Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're sorry for this frustration @misty rozek39088706. This issue is specific to macOS Monterey and has been reported with multiple applications. Our engineers are working with Apple engineers to get this fixed as soon as possible. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a few weeks since this thread started. It's still occurring with my Mac 7,1 Monterey. Yesterday's PS update didn't do anything for the save issue. 

HELLLLO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't blame Adobe for that one. The problem come from Apple Monterey.

Have you tried to reset the SMC? It works for me. Here the link. Sorry for the French.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It' works. Thank a lot Bernard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in fact holding Adobe accountable for lack of prompt support help for the software they’re developing and releasing. The problem is in Adobe and they can not help nor respond in a helpful manner. I pay for a software I can not get help with when it doesn’t work, so yes it is in fact Adobe at fault for lack of support to their product.  

And once more your suggestions doesn’t help, but hope your getting paid to do Adobe's work for them or at least a discount on your software fees 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to the English version: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am both dismayed and relieved to read this. At least I know I am not alone! Here's my version of this issue.

My system:
15" 2017 Macbook Pro with trackbar; 16GB memory, 1TB SSD - all current versions of Adobe software (2022)

My own workaround: Copy a file first in Finder, then open that file in the app you want to use. Work on it and save it. Then you can rename it in Finder, or do that before you open it.
---

What it’s doing
Since the upgrade some (but not all) of my apps can no longer save files that are created within the app. In every case, the app just ignores the command. All other functions seem to work fine, including making changes to and saving existing files. 

Those that have Cloud services can save to those services as well. The only problem is saving to disk. 

Some can save PDFs to disk if I print to PDF using one of the “PDF Services” in this user folder:
~/Library/PDF Services

I haven’t yet tested the system-level ones here: /Library/PDF Services
But the normal “Save to PDF” function in the Print dialog does nothing.

Apps that have the problem
  • The entire Adobe Creative Cloud suite
  • The entire Microsoft 365 suite
  • Spark (email app)
  • Google Chrome (can’t download and save a new file — gets “stuck” but the browser still works, just shows a badge)
  • ClickUp. app (probably based on Chrome’s engine)
  • Evernote (can’t export notes as HTML or PDF)
  • OmniGraffle
  • OmniOutliner (also won’t close if you Duplicate a file, Apple-software style — no "Save As" command)

Apps that are able to save new files
  • Finder
  • All Apple office suite apps (Pages, Numbers, etc.)
  • Dropbox (syncing works normally)
  • Launchbar (probably uses native copy/move)
  • Automator QuickAction service
  • Skitch (from Evernote)
  • Safari (can download but doesn’t allow me to specify a location for a Print to PDF)
  • BusyCal (Print to PDF works)
  • BBEdit
  • Bear
  • Firefox
  • Handbrake
  • Mindnode
  • OmniPlan (unlike its brothers above)
  • Scrivener

So that’s what I’ve tested.  Questions I can think of are:

• Why does OmniPlan work, but OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner don’t? Do they use the OS file functions the same way?
  • Adobe and Microsoft use non-standard file access interfaces rather than Apple’s normal browsing interface. Does that mean they are introducing something that breaks this function? If so, is it common to the other broken apps?
  • Does the fact that few people seem to have encountered this problem mean that it’s a problem with my actual installation rather than a bug? Is there any way to test that or best: FIX it?
    • ANSWER: I did a reinstall of Monterey 12.0.1 from the Recover volume and that fixed the problem. But then I ran Disk First Aid and the seems to have put the glitch back in the system.
  • Is my 2017 Intel-based Macbook Pro somehow incompatible with this release of Monterey?

Ugh. I hate this. I always clone my drive before a major upgrade. Just went too fast and didn’t realize that’s what was happening. Thought I was updating Big Sur (OS 11.16.xx).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external montior. Changing my Primary Display to my laptop's did the trick for me. 
Resetting the SMC didn't seem to have any effect.

Glad Adobe is working on a fix ASAP. This was a massive time-waster, but it's not confined to Adobe. Microsoft and Google both had the same issue on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you also think the problem comes with Monteray, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This was new - my mac should be 'old' ; ) It's two years last month. Unfortunately I didn't find any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Never had any issues prior to upgrading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing primary monitor to built-in and resetting preferences al launch worked for me. M1 with all the latest updates. Back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just changing primary monitor worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I have an EGPU, and i changed the primary display to the laptop. This solved my issue. How the heck did you think of that solution?!  Thanks for the help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines