• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to switch files by clicking on Tabs in Illustrator 2019 on macOS High Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened through multiple versions of Ai and Psd. As you can see in the screen captures, no matter what tab I've selected, I can only see 1 file. This happens randomly, and I have to restart the program to get the tabs to work properly again.

ai-1.jpgai-2.jpgai-3.jpg

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator does nothing that Corel Draw can't do better.  

I certainly wouldn't be running adobe products if it were my company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes I forget about Corel. it was too awful to look into back in the Illustrator Version 3.0 days so i didnt committed it to 'not for me' pile, but I remember reading a while back that its a whole new world these days. could be worth some time looking into it again now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I self-taught myself graphics in Corel 17 years ago, and when I got into the industry was disappointed to see that it was ruled by adobe.  How this is still the case baffles me. It STILL can't go beyond 5700mm in drawing space. It's utterly absurd. Especially when it doesn't even scale, like Corel does so well. 

I'd certainly suggest Corel Draw over Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Everything is up to date and from reading this thread it definitely seems to be a bug with the program. Something that helps me move from tab to tab when this happens is resizing the window. I don't know why, but this is the quickest solution I have for the problem. You have to do it every time you want to switch. Adobe needs to address this and fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In order to troubleshoot your issue, we need the following information:
1. A screenshot or a small video of the process.
2. Display Settings screenshot (System Preferences > Displays)
3. Please share the SPX file, for more information on SPX file please refer to this article here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203001

For the SPX file I am sending you a DM, please share the file there.

All this information will help us replicate the issue on our end and fix it accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mac os catalina 10.15.3, illustrator 24.0.3, photoshop 21.0.3
the problem remains ((( There are many topics on the Internet on the forums with this problem, but they have not solved this problem anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In order to troubleshoot your issue, we need the following information:
1. A screenshot or a small video of the process.
2. Display Settings screenshot (System Preferences > Displays)
3. Please share the SPX file, for more information on SPX file please refer to this article here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203001

For the SPX file I am sending you a DM, please share the file there.

All this information will help us replicate the issue on our end and fix it accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a 'more info' button. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 7.43.15 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion, please refer to this article for getting the SPX file: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203001

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you spam these default answers. Only this topic has been hanging for 7 months. The network is full of those with the same problem and they are all unanswered. Here is a visual example - https://vimeo.com/311762519

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, but in order to get out of it I right-clicked on a tab and "moved to new window" this seemed to get it out of the funk. Would be nice Adobe to get this issue fixed its sort pretty irritating for us 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mac os catalina 10.15.3, illustrator 24.1

I am having exactly the same issues, multiple times per day quitting out of the app and re starting it. Adobe are aware of my problem, they have been in remotely to try and solve it today, but it hasn't worked, I'm awaiting their next suggestions.

It's very, very frustrating and costs those of us who use this for work in time, money and, if deadlines are missed, reputation.

I have used Adobe products for over 20 years and quite honestly, they have never been so tempermental.

I appreciate that Adobe want to improve the product, but in a lot of the updates they are often either unneccesary or unwated by most and with every update there seems to be more issues (don't even get me started on the save/replace debacle in PS)

Here's hoping to a couple of fixes soon, but let's not stress too much, worse things could happen out there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! It almost happens every other 10 mintues. It is seriouly jeopardizing the work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this (and similar posts) switching Off GPU performance seems to help.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-cc2020-multiple-project-tabs-feature-quits-wo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton_Frederiks,

I have reported this problem to Adobe, they have been in remotely three times now, switched various settings on and off, uninstalled and reinstalled CC, and tried many, many things. I have sent screen grabs, recorded video of the problem happening, as it is easy to replicate the issue, just open and close several files in fairly quick succession, leave one or two open, flick between them and the problem will arise.

The issue is obviously wide scale, but there appears to be no resolution.

I still have a case file open and now they want me to install another update, I am currently retiscent to update anything until somebody tells me it's going to fix the problems and not cause any more issues.

I feel that much of the time the updates are change for the sake of change, not actually bringing anything useful to the table.

It would just be nice if Adobe looked at a problem like this, which eats away at my and many other creatives time during our work day to "get over' every time it occurs and actually fixed it.

I'm no tech, so I do not mess about with my Mac, do any coding or particularly understand (or want to understand) the ins and outs, I just want it to work for what I do, which it used to until the most recent updates of CC and Catalina. I know many blame the OS, but surely they test vigorously before release of CC updates on a new Mac OS.

I still prefer my Adobe apps, probably won't change, but will perservere in the hope it all comes good, as there are worse things happening out there at the moment than a glitchy app or two.

Stay safe everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I have had this same problem for a while (started in Photoshop a few versions ago, and only occasionally in Illustrator). Now with the newest Illustrator (24.1) it's a multiple-times-a-day occurrence. Yes, it is minor, and a simple restart of the app does the trick, but when on a tight deadline (which is sadly almost daily; ha) it sure makes things difficult. I agree; I hope this is being looked at. For me at least, the bugs are increasing as time goes on with the Adobe apps. (I've been using Illustrator and Photoshop daily for over 15 years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I FIXED IT WITHOUT DOING ANY OF THESE BELOW. Try it and let me know. I was tinkering as I had some unsaved tabs and was panicking( calming not giving up).

If you go to WINDOW (MENU) and turn off *(uncheck) the Application Frame it removes the TABS and gives each file its own window in the frame of the application! not a solution to WHY but maybe a hit as to why Application Frame is causing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel 

Affinity Publisher...one price availaible on desktops and mobile (under $100 for both-free updates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem at least once a week, closing all tabs just display the display page of all the recent files smaller, and opening them just shows a gray screen. The only way to fix this is restarting Illustrator which is very frustrating and every time after restarting Illustrator to "fix" the problem it runs very slow for 30min.
Illustrator is running on iMac 2019 Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6  32GB RAM. with the latest Illustrator ver. 24.3.

Hope Adobe fix this soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines