• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted bold fonts when converting AI to pdf

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2008 Aug 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When converting fonts to outlines in Ai(cs3) and then saving it as a pdf (high quality print) the letter "l" appears to be bold in pdf file. Does this affect my printwork? or is a blitch in the pdf viewer or else?.
I've tried converting directly from illustrator and through distiller, both the same results.
Anybody?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following works but it's a headache:

It seems that "san serif" fonts are the biggest culprit of this issue. Rather than exporting typography from Illustrator it's best if you use InDesign for all font usage. Meaning I usually design tag lines for logos in Illustrator than turning the text into outlines. This works if you aren't putting the file through InDesign. The easiest way I found to solve this issue is to pen tool out the area where the text on the illustrator image is, then duplicate the text in indesign using a text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ton,

Thank you for your quick reply.

The reason I convert the text to curves is simply because when I print the document that is provided, in certain places and pages the fonts appear weird, they change to symbols or something for some reason. Probably because they aren't embedded into the document by the client.

What's the solution in that case?

Looking forwards to your best advice.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found the solution to this by complete accident.

It seems 'l's and some other rectangular sans serif letters are not recognised properly on saving to pdf if you have outlined the font in illustrator.

The soloution is to open the illstrator file with outlined fonts, and add extra anchor points to your vertical lines on the 'l' letter (between the corner points) this makes no difference of course to the shape, but once saved and converted to pdf, or imported into indesign then saved to pdf, the width of the letter 'l' seems to be recognised correctly.

Hope this helps

Its a glitch I think...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines