• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Recolour Artwork dialogue box: when/why to use Combine Tints and Hue Shift

Participant ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am converting a black and white artwork into colours and colour tints.

And I have 2 questions about the Recolor Artwork dialogue box in Illustrator.

I cannot find any examples or explanation to clarify in the online manual, here on the forum or on YouTube etc. 

I have tried by trial and error clicking on the different options and comparing results to understand what changes occur but I don’t understand/can’t see what changes are in play when I chose:

1. Combine Tints in the Colorize Method

Why would we chose to use or not use this option?

What does this help us to achieve?

Are there any examples documented?

2. Hue Shift

What determines or where is determined the Hue that is shifted to?

In this case I have a purple colour to be applied and the Hue Shift field brings up a brown hue to shift to.

Where is this brown colour coming from?

Are there any examples documented?

This discussion on recolouring tinted artwork was really helpful but it didn’t address the questions I have here.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/how-to-recolor-a-tinted-screened-artwork-with...

Thank you for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Tints combined

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-06 um 12.08.55.png

Tints not combinedBildschirmfoto 2023-02-06 um 12.09.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Thank you very much for your reply and the clear screenshots.

So, the Tints Combined (or not) is when the artwork to be recoloured already has Tint colours in them.

I think I understand this better now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tints combined

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-06 um 12.08.55.png

Tints not combinedBildschirmfoto 2023-02-06 um 12.09.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply and the clear screenshots.

So, the Tints Combined (or not) is when the artwork to be recoloured already has Tint colours in them.

I think I understand this better now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Hue shift will introduce a color shift when recoloring. You absolutely do not want that when your goal is black and white or when you want to preserve spot colors. Those two bottom methods are rather meant when you are exploring colors.

The other three are for more precise work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks for your reply.  I already understood that it introduced a colour shift.

But what I was asking was: how is the colour to be shifted to defined/decided?

In my original question I gave the example of base artwork to be recoloured that is black and white. But with other artwork that is multicoloured, if I wanted to recolour them, what decides/determines the Hue to be shifted to?

Is the Hue to be shifted to decided by random?

Is it decided by a relation to the current selected artwork to be recoloured? 

Is the Hue to be shifted to that of another artwork object I have unknowingly selected prior to opening the Recolour Artwork dialogue panel? 

Or something else? 

I am sorry if I seem persistent or obtuse in asking the question again. My only goal is to understand what possibilities there are with these functions so that I can decide what and how to use them.

If you or another expert user could possibly elaborate or show an example I would really appreciate it.   Thanks for any further information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the link to the user guide docs section/article. I found information about the Hue Shift mechanism outlined at the bottom about Colorize Methods:

"Hue Shift sets the most typical color in the Current Colors row as a key color and exactly replaces the key color with the new color. The other current colors are replaced by colors that differ from the new color in brightness, saturation, and hue by the same amounts that the current color differs from the key color."

It was my oversight, my mistake in not seeing this when I looked through this section before.
Thanks again for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. That is some wall of text in that article. Glad you could sove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines