Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using text as a clipping mask creates a misalignment

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've never experienced this before. Is there a fix?

Thank you!

Chris.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.49.41 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-23 at 10.49.56 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris (@Syntax_One),

If you're experiencing misalignment issues when using text as a clipping mask in Illustrator, here are a few steps you can try to address the problem:

• Zoom Out: Sometimes, misalignment issues may appear more noticeable when zoomed in. Zoom out to get a broader view and see if the misalignment persists.

• Switch Preview Mode: Illustrator uses both GPU and CPU for rendering. Switching between GPU and CPU preview modes (Cmd+E or Ctrl+E) might give you a different view and help identify the misalignment more accurately.

• Check Text and Clipping Mask Position: Ensure that both the text and the objects you are using as a clipping mask are in the correct position. Misalignment can occur if there's a slight shift in their positions.

If the issue persists, you may consider sharing more details about your project to help identify the specific problem. Feel free to share more information, and I'll do my best to assist you further!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

• Zoom Out: tried before and doesn't work.
  • Switch Preview Mode: tried before and doesn't work.
  • Check Text and Clipping Mask Position: this is not the issue.

I've been teaching clipping masks for 12 years using this demo and it's the first time I encounter this issue.

Here is my document so you can see for yourself: https://we.tl/t-uua82NEAec

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 12.00.48 PM.png

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your sample file I can reproduce the issue.

It may be a bug, but I have not investigated it carefully so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that misalignment problem is weird. It even persists when changing fonts. Here's one work-around that appears to get rid of it while keeping the clipping text live. Create a box in that turquoise color and move it behind the yellow lady object then group all of it together. Remove the fill on the live text object sitting above those other objects. Use the text object containing no fill or stroke as a clipping mask for the other objects underneath. The clipping results seem much more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce that problem.

You can use an Opacity mask instead.

I made a copy of the green text.

Filled the original with black.

Selected the text and the yellow object and clicked the Make Mask in the Transparency panel.

Checked both Clip and Invert.

Pasted the green text behind.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 00.01.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the workarounds guys! You rock! But the problem remains and needs to be fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines