• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos 4 not working with Illustrator (Catalina)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just can't get illustrator to recognise pressure from my Wacom Intuos 4. I'm on a 2020 imac running Catalina. For example if I go to blob brush options, everything except 'fixed' and 'random' is greyed out. 

I have found this: https://help.astropad.com/article/225-illustrator-catalina which claims to fix this problem but in reality on my computer it doesn't seem to be the same. If I go to System preferences>Security&privacy>Accessibility, 'com.wacom.IOmanager' is already enabled but illustrator doesn't give me the option to 'enable tablet driver'. The Automation section (in system preferences>Security&privacy>Accessibility) is blank. 

I have already tried:

• disabling/re-enabling com.wacom.IOmanager (several times, restarting in between etc).

• uninstalling and reinstalling latest wacom drivers (using wacom utility, restarting in between).

This is definitely not a tablet issue as it works fine with the ancient version of illustrator on my old laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've just bought a year's subscription to illustrator but without pressure sensitivity working it's kind of useless to me!

Thanks

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Ok so I've solved this (only took me all day... 😐). Thought I would share in case it's any help to anyone else. Here's what I did (I'm not sure how much of this is relevant but it might be):

• Uninstalled latest Wacom drivers etc. 

• Installed older wacom driver (6.3.39-1)

• Uninstalled illustrator 2021 (v24.4.1)

• Went onto creative cloud, clicked the 3 dots next to illustrator (more actions) and downloaded illustrator 2020 (v24.3).

• Opened illustrator 2020 and it finally gave me the option to en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hi All,

We are really sorry to hear about your experiences. The product team is aware of the issue, and they are currently working on a fix. I would request you and others to please be patient and stay tuned for the updates.

In the meantime, I would request you to reach out to me via DM. I will provide you with a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020. To send me a DM, click on my profile picture and click on the " Send a Message" button.

Note: The download link expires after 24

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently for some users this seems to work: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-cc-crash-wacom-drivers.html

If it doesn't work, then you are really out of luck, since it looks like Wacom doesn't care a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  I tried that already! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club. Mine doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm this is not a Wacom issue, and installing a 2020 version when we pay a subscription fee for up to date software is not a solution. 

Adobe need to do some training on accountability, you can't just keep pointing the finger and blaming other people. 

It comes across as really unprofessional, and whats more, the comunity here does more to help than Adobe does. 

Get this sorted, everyone posting in all of these pen pressure threads is currently loosing money from lost productivity reading through forums trying to solve a stupid issue. 

I am ready to walk away from Adobe after this, a lot of people will be looking into alternative vector programs. 

Have you noticed the tide of people running for the hills? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add to this that I have also found this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxcu6FoGzKA

and tried everything it suggests (including trashing preferences) and it did not work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I've solved this (only took me all day... 😐). Thought I would share in case it's any help to anyone else. Here's what I did (I'm not sure how much of this is relevant but it might be):

• Uninstalled latest Wacom drivers etc. 

• Installed older wacom driver (6.3.39-1)

• Uninstalled illustrator 2021 (v24.4.1)

• Went onto creative cloud, clicked the 3 dots next to illustrator (more actions) and downloaded illustrator 2020 (v24.3).

• Opened illustrator 2020 and it finally gave me the option to enable tablet driver! Illustrator + tablet driver finally appeared in the 'automation' section of Security and Privacy.

• Installed Illustrator 2021 and now Wacom tablet / pen pressure etc works fine.

I suspect at this point I could update the Wacom driver ande it would still work, but I don't want to risk it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the latest Illy version directly from Adobe servers for 240.00. Since Wacom support has been import to me since the summar of '92 (FreeHand 3/3.1), its one of the first things I test with graphics software. Wow, epic fail for creating a brush with no pressure! Spent the next 4 hrs trying to find a solution... then JAMIE5FE9, won the day! Thank you! I seriously would email you a beer or wine.

I went a little different approach based on my QA experience (Adobe almost hired me in fall of '89):

• Uninstalled latest Wacom drivers etc. <-- following Wacom steps very carefully.

• Installed older wacom driver (6.3.39-1) <-- this is the key, Wacom is not testing their software well on later ver.

• Used creative cloud, installed illustrator 2020 (v24.3). <-- I suspect later versions might not work but prove me wrong.

* during install Os asked for permisson to enable tablet driver! Yes, Illustrator + tablet driver appeared in the 'automation' section of Security and Privacy. <-- I suspect also there is a bug in 2021 too.

• Uninstalled illustrator 2020 (v24.4.1) <-- nope, wanted 2020 as a back up in case there was other bugs in 2021.

* Checked in System pref in Automation, yep correct settings.

• Opened Illustrator 2021; now Wacom tablet / pen pressure etc works fine for creating brushes.

Seriously this pressure bug should have been found before shipping. Yes, its complicted but Adobe has the resources now. 

Let me know if others found these steps working. Yes, hold to that older version! Now, I can enjoy creating art with a 240.00 brush that breaks once a year. 😉 Over 25 yrs Adobe has been a nightmare for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've h ad the same problem. Wacom Intuos L pro, Mac mini M1 + BigSure. Tried avoiding and uninstalling everything many times. 2 hours of screen sharing with Adobe assistance, nothing fixed.
But I have found the solution.
Installed Illustrator 2020 (24.0) and automatically system preferences - Security and automation, is finally the voice illustrator and tablet driver has been added. Restarted. Now the pressure of the pen works and is manageable both on the version of Illustrator 2020 and on the latest updated 2022 !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could I ask you how you installed illustrator 2020? I have the same problem, but when I look in creative cloud, the oldest version I could see is 25.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe support with chat, and asked to give me the link to download Illustrator version 24.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, thank you so much for posting this here. Ran into the same thing with a small Wacom Intuos, and this was the only thing that fixed it. Had to chat with Adobe Support as will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I am looking to find support for getting my brush pressure option available in Illustrator - I've spent the last 2 days trying all the suggestions I can find online, except downloading the 2020 version of which I do not have access to as a newbie student to Illustrator.

If any adobe support/helpers out there reads this please contact me - I have not been able to get any support - I am on a subscription via a school program and have not been able to find support available via chat etc, please help - I want to learn to use this new Wacom Intuis Pro I just got with Illustrator so bad for the class I am taking = (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked thank you. Uninstalled all versions of Illustrator and removed the prefrences when prompted. Cotacted support for illustrator 2020 (v24.3) and installed it, then reinstalled the current version and everything is all gravy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are really sorry to hear about your experiences. The product team is aware of the issue, and they are currently working on a fix. I would request you and others to please be patient and stay tuned for the updates.

In the meantime, I would request you to reach out to me via DM. I will provide you with a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020. To send me a DM, click on my profile picture and click on the " Send a Message" button.

Note: The download link expires after 24 hours. So, I will be sharing the download link via DM only until this issue gets fixed.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is Adobe doing anything with regards to the Windows version of Illustrator and pressure sensitivity functions in Wacom tablets? It's pretty intolerable on the Windows platform, thanks largely due to Windows Ink. Wacom really needs to figure out a proper way how to bypass the Windows Ink nonsense.

I can only seem to get occasional pressure sensitivity functions from my Wacom Intuos tablet with Windows Ink enabled and none at all with Windows Ink disabled. The Windows Ink feature is infuriating. If I am using a Wacom stylus as a mouse and click into any text entry field or even select text entry tools a big handwriting pop-up window jumps in the way. There is no reason for this nonsense to even occur if a device like a notebook computer or desktop PC have physical keyboards. I can type into a keyboard many times faster than I can write scribble scratch text by hand. My iPad Pro has very simple settings to enable or disable handwriting text input versus using its on-screen keyboard. Microsoft, Wacom and any other developers involved need to work together to develop a similar SIMPLE solution. Windows Ink treats any PC or notebook with a graphics tablet attached as if it is a smart phone. It's just so stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines