• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is that Diamond shape in the Character Panel?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang,

When I open a template file in Illustrator 2023, I see a diamond shape immediately to the right of the font name in the Character Panel. It reads "Myriad Pro ♦

What does the Diamond character mean?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Hmmm. I did a little deeper digging. I'm working on a newer laptop. I thought I had Myriad installed, but I did not. As soon as I installed the Myriad family into FontBook app, the diamond went away. So the template was calling for a font that the OS didn't have installed, and therefore showed a diamond shape after the typeface name. Different in InDesign, the font name shows up with square brackets surrounding the [fontname]. 

Since the template did not already have type objects within it, open

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It probably means that the font is not fully editable unless you activate/ install it. Either that or that it's a "deprecated" old font that's also not fully compatible because soem Unicode/ OpenType stuff is missing from it. For Myriad this would fit, as Adobe has retired it for the most part.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmm. I did a little deeper digging. I'm working on a newer laptop. I thought I had Myriad installed, but I did not. As soon as I installed the Myriad family into FontBook app, the diamond went away. So the template was calling for a font that the OS didn't have installed, and therefore showed a diamond shape after the typeface name. Different in InDesign, the font name shows up with square brackets surrounding the [fontname]. 

Since the template did not already have type objects within it, opening the template did not trigger the Missing Fonts dialog box. But it did show the diamond next to the default character style fontname.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines