• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the filepath of the file I'm editing on PC?

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now stuck on a PC after decades with Macs, where I could use Cmd-Click to "Reveal in Finder" day after day.

Now on a PC I can't even FIND the current file path anywhere. I'd expect it to be in the File Info dialog, but that's just useless XMP attributes. 

WHAT IS THE SAVED LOCATION OF THE AI FILE I HAVE OPEN STARING ME IN THE FACE? It's saved SOMEWHERE, and I'd really like its filepath to open its enclosing folder in Explorer. 

Nobody using PCs needs to know the location of a file they have been editing?

(AI 24.0.2 64-bit, Creative Cloud, Windows 10)

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found if I go to Package..., the current path appears in the Saved Location and can be copied. Then I move to Explorer and make a new Explorer window, then paste this path into the pathbar to see the enclosing folder. 

This is all we get in 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Nobody using PCs needs to know the location of a file they have been editing?"

Well this doesn't really seem platform-specific, but now that you mention it, I never find myself wondering; primarily because I already know. How did the file get open if you didn't know where it is?

Did you try Save As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"How did the file get open if you didn't know where it is?"

We had an emergency at the castle where one teammate had used something on his PC called "search". He was editing 17 documents for a week straight. He passed out right there. I had to push aside his chair and bravely pick up his edits in mid-Bezier.

Very traumatic because I had to find out where each of his documents had came from. Turns out all of them were opened from the brain folder called Ab-something ("Abnormal" it appears) and so the creature had to be destroyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines