• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

white area on the right with JPEG not there with PDF or AI file?

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evening, I have what is prob a simple problem but is very irritating and I cannot find a solution. I have designed some book covers for a friend and when I send her a PDF version it seems fine, the AI file opens fine but when I export to JPEG there is a big white line at the right hand side almost the same size as my artwork. Does anyone know why this is and how i can remove this? I have thought that it is exporting outside the artboard but there is nothing there for def. Could it be that the JPEG rules has a different setting size from my artwork?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

I did Cntl A and guess what?? I had a small dot outside the artboard doh! not sure why some file formats ignored it but JPEG did not. I will sleep better tonight now! thank you everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RiverTam,

Apart from a JPEG probably being less suitable for a raster image version, where a PNG24 would seem more appropriate, and what would be the purpose of it(?), depending on version, a JPEG/PNG/whatever will contain what is within the Artboard (or you may fit the Artboard to the artwork) or the Crop Area, nothing outside that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just sending over social media some images of the artwork for her to look at as she only has a phone which was my reason for exporting to jpeg and not PNG as she cannot save graphic files. Interesting though as the PNG file does not have the white side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RiverTam,

she only has a phone which was my reason for exporting to jpeg and not PNG as she cannot save graphic files

Are you saying that she is unable to view/save a PNG(24) on a smartphone? Have you tried? It would be a more obvious choice for that kind of artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am saying that an iphone does not support saving a PNG file. She can of course take a JPEG screen shot but why should she when i should be able to send JPEG images without the white line at the side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RiverTam,

She can of course take a JPEG screen shot but why should she when i should be able to send JPEG images without the white line at the side

Indeed (strange limitation, unknown to this non owner of a smartphone).

Is it an option to do the Export in Photoshop, and if so, will that work?

Otherwise, I am beginning to think of the list:

If things that should work simply refuse to (all possibilities exhausted including the A) - C) below (and carefully making sure you are performing (all) the needed things)), you may try (the relevant part(s) of) the list 1) - 6) below.

Sometimes, (certain) things may fail or stop working for no apparent reason. When the (other) possible reasons/cures fail to work, it may be some kind of (temporay or permanent) corruption, or even some inconvenient preference setting(s), which may be cured with something on the following list set up in an attempt to provide a catchall solution for otherwise unsolvable cases. It starts with a few easy and harmless suggestions 1) and 2) for milder cases, and goes on with two alternative ways 3) and 4) of resetting preferences to the defaults (easily but irreversibly and more laboriously but more thoroughly and also reversibly), then follows a list 5) of various other possibilities, and it ends with a full reinstallation 6). If no other suggestions work, or if no other suggestions appear, you may start on the list and decide how far to go and/or which may be relevant.

The following is a general list of things you may try when

A) The issue is not in a specific file,

B) You have a printer correctly installed, connected, and turned on if it is physical printer (you may use Adobe PDF/Acrobat Distiller as the default printer with no need to have a printer turned on, obviously you will need to specify when you actually need to print on paper), and

C) It is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media.

You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt/inconvenient preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), for CS3 - CC you may find the folder here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously (this may be serious because you may need to restore plugins and whatnot afterwards if you have customized things), you may:

6) A) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences if applicable), B) run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and C) reinstall. You may try without step B), but sometimes it is needed, because otherwise things may linger.

As it appears from this thread, it may be worth repeating this if it fails to help the first time:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2283530

To uninstall:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=uninstall&cat=support&product=illustra...

Cleaner Tool:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.. I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! WOOT WOOT.

Your image is fine. Your problem is SOCIAL MEDIA. Whatever you are editing the jpeg in here - https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-10714542-1609724/crop.JPG

Wants a 1 to 1 ratio. A square. You are sending her a portrait shaped rectangle. Guessing that she is trying to share on instagram? Of course, Insta wants a square so the "added white space" is really just the empty area left after the rectangle is forced to the square shape.

- Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would want to send her this.... instead for social media.

cover.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but it is not for social media, it has to be a certain size to upload to Kindle Book covers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this weird behavior is only happening on this one file, I'd probably just crop it in Photoshop to be done with it. Later, I would take the time to create a new Illustrator file, copy over the work carefully making sure not to pick up anything unexpected, and save a new document.

I get frustrated not tracking down the exact problem, but sometimes it's faster to just deal with it--as long as it's not an issue plaguing all your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did Cntl A and guess what?? I had a small dot outside the artboard doh! not sure why some file formats ignored it but JPEG did not. I will sleep better tonight now! thank you everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing, RiverTam.

I have thought that it is exporting outside the artboard but there is nothing there for def.

You could have fooled me (and did).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crop.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

artboard.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing visible over there, but are you sure you don't have any stray points outside the artboard? Or possibly an object with zero fill and zero stroke?

Illustrator is definitely finding something out there. If you export as JPG and be sure to check the "Use Artboard" option, it should only export what's visible in your artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have given a screen shot to show nothing visable and I have ticked the box - but thank you for trying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought:

In File > Document Setup do you have any bleed set for the artboard?

When exporting a JPG, even if "Use Artboards" is selected, it will include any bleed that is set in Document Setup and it will appear as white space around the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to self: Bleed seems to be limited to 72 pixels, so that's probably not the problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-10714542-1609724/crop.JPG

Whatever program this is is forcing your image to a square and just filling in white space with whatever is left from your original image. I am betting your image is 2560x2560.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried to open it with several different programs, they all have white space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no bleed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening the resulting image in Photoshop? Is the line visible there?

Are you generating the jpg from Illustrator or from the pdf?

- Dax

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG is created from illustrator and white line is visable when i open the jpeg file in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines