• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White background for text on path

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to draw and label dimension lines.

I create a blue line

Select type on path and write the dimension on the line

Align text to centre

...but the blue line now strikes through my text

How do I get it to be white behind the text?

I've tried applying a new fill in the appearance panel, but because I'm using type on a path it's applying it to the path and not the text.

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way would be to use a dashed line, adjusting the dash and gap size for each dimension size, but I would just use separate lines and text, with the text box set to white, or set the dimensions above the line.

Type on path with gap.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - looks right but with so many different lengths it would take an age to set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is selecting your text and on the appearance panel, add a thick stroke of white (just enough to give you the type of white space you need from the blue line, and drag that stroke effect in the appearance panel so that it is ordered beneath the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried this early on but the option for making the stroke run round the outside of the letters not inside is greyed out and so the white stroke encroaches into the text - am I missing something?

Surely I'm trying to do something a thousand other people have needed to do before?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can add a stroke to the outside of outlined text but not editable text but I need the text to remain editable

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep your text live by adding another fill in the Appearance Panel, apply an Effect > Convert to Shape > Rectangle and drag it below the characters in the panel. You can save it as a Graphic Style.

text white backgr.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get that to work when you have path text? I couldn't make that work, but if it does work, I would be interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not with type on a path, just point text and a separate line.

It should be easy to drag the line and the text to the CC Library and Alt drag it to the document.

You need to modify 2 things anyway, the line length an the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meganchi's technique to add an outside aligned white stroke works well in InDesign (where you can add an outside stroke to live text) and you can copy and paste from InDesign into Illustrator, unfortunately you loose the ability to edit the type and increase the line knock out in Illustrator.

Type on path with stroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all....this is kinda crazy that Illustrator is used for dimensioned artworks and yet seems not to have this feature 😞

I think I'm either going to have to purchase a plugin or stick with my text floating above the line which looks poor.

Any updates, keep me posted

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines