• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY can't I align the text on this logo?!

Explorer ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone and thank you for taking the time to try to help me!

My problem is related to text alignment. I am currently making a logo for a client in the health and fitness industry and I can't seem to properly align the text in their logo for some reason.

First I tried to use illustrator's alignment option on the font I used, but due to the kerning or something else, the automatic alignment looked really off.
Next, I turned the words into objects and tried using the same alignment options and the words looked a lot more aligned, however, when I check the spacing I find that there is a 4-pixel distance from one side and more than 10 pixels on the other side, making it uneven.

I attached the AI file, so you can have a look for yourselves and see if you can find a solution to this alignment issue.

Here's the link to the AI file: Visually Even.ai - Google Drive

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

radoslava645  wrote

Yeah, I was talking about the last option.

The original is the way I aligned it at first, while the text wasn't turned into objects.

The client said that it seemed off and requested me to align it better visually, that's why I created the other version "visually even"

As I said in my first post. With end letters so different it always comes down to personal observation as to whether what is centered under them looks right visually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Ungrouping the objects before aligning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but I have already ungrouped each word. I attached the file, so you can have a look at it yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

radoslava645  wrote

I have already ungrouped each word. I attached the file, so you can have a look at it yourself.

I downloaded it and looked before commenting. When I opened it, the whole logo was grouped. (I don't have the fonts, but you can still see that it's grouped). Maybe that is due to a version difference or something. (I'm on 23.0.3 Mac)

Screenshot 2019-05-08 13.43.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what way are you trying to align your type? Do you mean that you want the baselines of the letters in each word to align? Or are you talking about the space between letters? Or are you trying to center align all of the text under the "GTY"? If it is the last option then the fact that the shapes of the "G" and "Y" are so different means that alignment will always look a little off and should be adjusted, as best you can, visually.

Actually, the example. you've marked as "Original" looks more comfortable to me than the one that you've labelled "Visually Even".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original is the way I aligned it at first, while the text wasn't turned into objects.

The client said that it seemed off and requested me to align it better visually, that's why I created the other version "visually even"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geometrically centered is not the same as visually centered. And that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, can you explain the difference and how I can visually center the design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

radoslava645  wrote

As I said in my first post. With end letters so different it always comes down to personal observation as to whether what is centered under them looks right visually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Silbert  schrieb

This.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with the GTY which is never going to look centered optically like GTO does because of the "Y" at the end. That is why your "visually centered" version looks better.  Forget about getting it literally centered.  Set the three lines of text as a centered paragraph.  Try not to mess with the three lines of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines