• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I select and move guides with selection tools?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CC and I cannot select and move guides with the selection tools. The guides are not locked. I can select the guides in the Layers Panel, but I can only move with the arrow keys. I can also "Release" the guides once they are selected in the Layers Panel, but I still cannot move them with the mouse - only the arrow key.

Summary of Problem:

1. Guides are not locked.
  2. Some guides can only be moved when they are selected in the Layer Panels and when using the arrow keys
  3. Non-selectable Guides can be "Released" but only altered in color and line weight and still only moved with the arrow keys.

Desired Outcome:

I want to be able to move all guides using the mouse for greater accuracy vs the arrow keys.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

i have the same problem i just make the elements (design)  bigger and the problem fixed (hide artboard and increase the size of  objects.. and also try to move guides without zoom in  closer)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

This is the answer that worked for me! In my layers panel, I couldn't select the guides but going to Alt + Ctrl + ; did my bidding. Guides move freely. I must have inadvertently locked it when I did some weird keyboard combos by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen all the time, or just with certain documents? If you create a new file and throw some guides on it, can you move them around with the mouse immediately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only on certain documents, infrequently. The file I'm working on right now will allow me to move some but not others.

If I create a new file, I can move them with the mouse immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the layers the guides are on aren't locked, either, I assume?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers are unlocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Channing, anotherhead,

The following is a general list of things you may try when the issue is not in a specific file (you may have tried/done some of them already); 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to 3 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XDDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in CC.  Layers not locked, Guides not locked, mouse will not selcet Guide after having been locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my scenario, it was a second window (of the same document) with Hide Edges on that caused the problem. Closing the second window solved the issue, though this is certainly a bug, and can be really annoying.

See this thread, lend your voice: Illustrator - Can't move guides when 2 windows open on same document

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a plethora of bugs since i began getting up to speed, moving from CS6 to CC2015.5.

Had a few words with Adobe staff- they tend to suggest making a Feature Request- can I make a Feature Request for fewer bugs please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it!

In my scenario (AICC2015) the Guides do not show as locked but they are!

Go and unlock them from the View Menu.

Adobe Documentation here...

How to use rulers, grids, and guides in Illustrator
Does not seem to alert users to this bug/feature, unless I'm missing something?

Or perhaps it's in the manual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer that worked for me! In my layers panel, I couldn't select the guides but going to Alt + Ctrl + ; did my bidding. Guides move freely. I must have inadvertently locked it when I did some weird keyboard combos by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this shortcut helped me. Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shortcut did the trick! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i know this is about 4 years old but it came in handy today. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy, it turned out that when I selected to 'trim view' so I would see only things on the artboard it also disabled the use of guides. When I clicked off the trim view under the main menu 'view' my guides were back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click the layer that you were working on in the layers panel and go layer options unlock lock guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the issue in the end proved to be the misleading indications as

to whether the guides were locked or not, not how to unlock the guides.

On 4 November 2016 at 04:57, rhianneb72915060 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try
View > Guides > Lock Guides (uncheck)

It helps in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the discussion before replying.
This has already been laid to rest...
Re: Why can't I select and move guides with selection tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it helped me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this is the correct answer and easiest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting and power cycling did nothing. The ctrl + shift + alt while opening illy worked in solving this for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complex file that this happens to and was tearing my hair out.  Most of the guides are rotated so they are not horizontal or vertical, so I don't know if this contributes to the issue.  I could select in layers and nudge with keyboard but not select or move with mouse.  I was deleting prefs and each time I would get a few guide moves before they all refused to be selected. 

My solution was to:

- create a random object (I have it overlapping the guide but I don't know if this is necessary)

- select the guide in the layers panel

- shift select the random object so both guide and object are selected

- move the random object with the mouse

- the guide would then happily be moved with the mouse to the precise location

Worth a try for anyone with this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, exactly as described by OP. I could create a new document no issue, open random documents no issue. Couldn't move the guide with the mouse though it was unlocked, I could move it with the keyboard.

For me, it turned out to be something rather simple. When you select a guide and want to move it with a mouse, there is a minumum move threshold. Meaning you have to click the guide, then move the guide a certain distance from its current location with the mouse before you can freely move it.

My problem was that in the document I was working with, I was simply too far zoomed in. So the minimum movement threshold was greater than the distance of half the screen. So it appeared as if the guides wouldn't move, even though they were clearly not locked in any way.

The object I was editing was part of a larger document, so it needed to be small. What I ended up doing was making a new file, resizing the object much bigger, and editing it with guides as needed. Then bringing that object back into the main document and resizing to the size I needed.

I hope that helps someone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines