• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do my Jpg and png files appear different colors when I export from Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,  I am wondering when I export png and jpg from same Illustrator file, why do the colors look different? See screenshots.

Using Illy CC version, document color mode RGB, color profie sRGB.  I don't have the best with color management knowledge, but I'm trying! Thanks for any advice & tips.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.56.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-04 at 3.56.08 PM.png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

PNGs are exported without embedding a color profile. You need to open the PNG in Photoshop and attach sRGB profile. This might make a change. Can you try that?

ALso: can you show us your color management options? And: Which profile do you use on your monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNGs are exported without embedding a color profile. You need to open the PNG in Photoshop and attach sRGB profile. This might make a change. Can you try that?

ALso: can you show us your color management options? And: Which profile do you use on your monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that did the trick, thank you! Now, will I need to do this for all png files? I need to provide the client with another png file for printing (CMYK) purposes. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.59.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG files cannot be in CMYK, it's not supported by the file format. So for printing you should check in with the client what kind of file format they prefer. Should be a PDF, but maybe they want something different.

Yes, you will need to attach a color profile to every exported PNG unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you, I think I'm catching on! To clarify, if I have an Illustrator logo file and I want to provide someone a png logo file for using in printed documents, I should: 1) change AI file color mode to RGB 2) export to png 3) open png in PS and assign the color profile.  Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what kind of printing is it?

When it's for printing on an Office printer, then an RGB PNG will be fine to import into Office documents.

For professional layout documents I would send them a CMYK PDF. Should work in all modern layout applications.

Here's an overview what logo files clients need most: https://www.logopackage.com/blog/most-used-client-logo-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, printing with an office printer and they specifically wanted png or jpg files. Appreciate the logo package overview!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a logo I would use PNG files. JPG has the potential to make ugly compression artefacts in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika

Wondering how do you attachan RGB profile in PS?

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Edit menu: Assign profile or the like. Do NOT Convert to profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks will give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your document color profile? You can select to display it at the bottom of your document window.

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jillo,

"I need to provide the client with another png file for printing (CMYK) purposes"

To avoid the lack of colour consistency between print and screen uses across all the PNGs, which will undoubtedly be greater than that between non sRGB PNGs and JPEGs, you may be happier if you start in CMYK and:

1) Create the print version of the artwork as a raster image if you must, in one of the formats that support CMYK (excluding JPEG), but better just as the original vector artwork;

2) In a new RGB document, use the original vector artwork to create a screen version as SVG if applicable, otherwise as PNG (sRGB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines