• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my Illustrator spell check using Spanish??

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator is spell checking in Spanish, but I need it to be in English. I've never changed this setting. I've looked at the language set up and it's in English. Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

There are a couple of places to check to make sure that your Spell Check looks for English:

ILLO SPELL CHECK.png

First check the Character Panel as shown on the left hopefully that will take care of it. If mot then Double-click the Normal Paragraph Style entry in the Paragraph Styles Panel as shown at the far right above. That will give you the Paragraph Style Option dialog as shown above center. Go to the Advanced Character Formats section and check for the language as highlighted in red. You may also have to check

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Ello,

I went through each individual text box like what someone mentioned above and found that each box was set to different languages.

Solution: Highlight all of the text and make sure that it's all set to English, check both Character + Paragraph settings. 

GOODLUCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of places to check to make sure that your Spell Check looks for English:

ILLO SPELL CHECK.png

First check the Character Panel as shown on the left hopefully that will take care of it. If mot then Double-click the Normal Paragraph Style entry in the Paragraph Styles Panel as shown at the far right above. That will give you the Paragraph Style Option dialog as shown above center. Go to the Advanced Character Formats section and check for the language as highlighted in red. You may also have to check any other Paragraph Styles in the same manner. You should also check the Character Styles Panel in the same way as you did the Paragraph Styles Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Bill! This is a file given to me by another designer...had no idea why it was happening! These tips fixed it 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I was able to solve it with this.

Although it was kind of difficult to find.

My keywords were:

how to change the dictionary adobe illustrator

change language check spelling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anybody found a solution for this problem? all my settings are set to English US yet the spell checker uses spanish dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the Advanced Character Options for the Normal Paragraph and Character Styles? It is easy to forget to check these since they are default styles that the user usually does not change. See screen shots:

STYLES.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you bill for quick response, I did indeed check these first as per your earlier suggestion. the spell checker still uses spanish dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which language is assigned to the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

humm... it seems that there were multiple languages assigned to individual blocks of text, spanish being among them.

thank you monika, the world makes sense again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Illustrator CC 2018. I've tried the solutions outlined in this forum, but I continue to get Spanish results when I do a  spell check. All my settings are English (US).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bicycle_Curtis  schrieb

All my settings are English (US).

Please select the text and show the characters panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and it switched back to Spanish. I reinstalled an older version of Illustrator (CC2017) and still had the same results. The only thing that seemed to work, was to highlight the copy, switch the character's panel to English and save. But that is a weird work around I'm afraid will not always be available.

What I think is going on is the original file, which I downloaded from Freepik.com (I've never had problems with their files in the past) is the file is corrupt, I noticed when opening it that there was a lot of lag time when moving around the illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bicycle_Curtis  schrieb

The only thing that seemed to work, was to highlight the copy, switch the character's panel to English and save.

What you're doing there is not "switch the character panel to Spanish", but you assign the Spanish language to the text. Language is a character attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is your solution? Everything I've done, according to the forum, has not been successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bicycle_Curtis  schrieb

So what is your solution?

Solution for what?

What is the kind of workflow you want to have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I think I have everything I need to complete my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked the paragraph styles and character styles, but it's still coming up as Spanish. I also restarted Illustrator. In preferences, I have hyphenation set to English too. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ello,

I went through each individual text box like what someone mentioned above and found that each box was set to different languages.

Solution: Highlight all of the text and make sure that it's all set to English, check both Character + Paragraph settings. 

GOODLUCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines