• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no AI icon branding for file on my desktop?

Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new-ish to CC. I just noticed that a recent AI file (I hardly use AI) on my desktop does not have the AI 'branding', whereas all my ID files do. 

Why is this so? Thank you.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 12.34.14.png

 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

When possible, OSX tries to show you a preview of the document inside the icon on your desktop. The reason your rudi.ai icon looks empty is likely because there's nothing on the artboard and therefore nothing to display except a white background.

I'm not sure how to disable this.. But i find it helpful, to be honest. You can witness this behavior change by updating the extension from ".ai" to ".ait" to make it a template file. the preview will disappear and it will be replaced by the illustrat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file association (Open with...) in the file info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open with:

Adobe Illustrator 2022 (default)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @TypoMan23,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind logging in to the root user account and checking if it works? If yes, kindly try the suggestions shared in this Apple Support post (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8418684) to reset Finder, restart your computer and share your observations.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.
This all seems too complicated and technical for me.
I just simply want to know why it's not working, and why no AI icon is showing up for the file on the desktop. I am new to CC and this should be working as I have only had CC for barely one month... isn't there a simple setting I can check to ensure that it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the file open in AI if you double-click on it?

The missing icon is not an issue with Illustrator, but with the Mac OS. Therefore, if you really want to solve it you may have to delve into Mac OS troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does.
Thanks for this info. Just strange that InDesign uses the icon, but Illustrator doesn't. Makes no sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When possible, OSX tries to show you a preview of the document inside the icon on your desktop. The reason your rudi.ai icon looks empty is likely because there's nothing on the artboard and therefore nothing to display except a white background.

I'm not sure how to disable this.. But i find it helpful, to be honest. You can witness this behavior change by updating the extension from ".ai" to ".ait" to make it a template file. the preview will disappear and it will be replaced by the illustrator logo instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just crossed my mind, but I don't have my Mac handy to check. Files with PDF compatibility should display a thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saved changes to another .ai file I am working on. The icon on the desktop showed the AI branding for one second, and then changed back to the white/blank appearance. 

This behaviour does not seem correct...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

are you able to share the file you're working with? Or a sample file that exhibits the same behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines